Anyone had experience with 19 or higher jaundice level?

My 6 day old is in the hospital right now receiving phototherapy for having a bilirubin level of 19.1. She has really bad jaundice and I am a tad bit concerned about her. Has anyone had to deal with this? I know that jaundice and healing rate may differ from everyone, but anyone who has had a baby with a jaundice level this high or close and how long did your baby had to stay in the hospital?

BabySanaa

Asked by BabySanaa at 6:41 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Both my daughters had high bili levels and stayed in the hospital for 3 and 4 days. In the incubator with the little white sunglasses on? Oh it's sooo sad to go through. All you wanna do is hold 'em. May I ask why you aren't there? They had me stay with my babies every second..
    Hang in there, it'll be OK. And they come out with a light pretty tan. =)
    Malibustacy

Answer by Malibustacy at 6:46 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I am in here with her now.
    BabySanaa

Answer by BabySanaa at 7:01 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Did they tell you why is her jaundice so High?
    My Baby started w/ level 11 then when up to 15. It kept going up & down. The reason why she had it so High was because she does not have the same blood as I. she only stay for two days under the light from level13 it when down to 9. But don't be surprice if it goes back up. I know its hard but, shell get better. What hurt me the most was when I saw her heels she had so many scabs from them checking her blood. Don't worry just follow the dr. Instructions. She is 2months & shes is doing great no more jaundice. =)
    Anonymous

• Ooooh right... laptops... I forget when I'm working with my old dinosaur. =)
    Malibustacy

Answer by Malibustacy at 9:09 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I brought 3 of mine to the hospital every 1-2 days for level checks - the highest the worst one got was 18.something, but we only had to have her on a little vest thing at home. The more they drink the more they pee & poop the faster it leaves their body - it's released through pee & poop so the more you can feed her the better & sooner you'll be able to take her home!
    Anonymous

• my son levels got up to 20.3 and like malibustacy said he was in the incubator for 3 days with the glasses and his levels went down to 8 and they let us come home i was so scared he is my first baby & my family live 4 hours away but he's fine and they never went up again g/l and keep ur head up
    baby1mom

Answer by baby1mom at 11:02 PM on Feb. 23, 2010