formula fed baby fed breastmilk.

A mother whom is very young asked another mother to take care of her baby(6months) while she gets herself together.meaning get the partying outta her system.the mother is 18 years old.the other mother agrees of course and shehas the baby a toatl of almost 6 weeks. the baby is formula fed.the other mother breastfeeds.during this time the baby's mother isnt suppling formula for the baby.so the mother caring for the child pumps some of her milk for the baby to eat in his bottle the entire time he'sunder her care.the baby loved it and was doing great.then the mother of thechild getsherself together and comes to get her baby.and now thebaby will NOT takeany formula. he wont eat it. andthe mother of the child is furious.does she have the right to be? * i am neither mother. just a by stander.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:05 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• No!!! I don't care about age. If she was not ready to be a mom then she probably won't be now. And she just left her child!! How dare she question how her child was taken care of since she didn't have the heart or strength to do it herself. Sorry this just makes me so mad. Stupid people should not be allowed to have kids and this makes me sick. I hope someone takes that child away from her mother so it is taken care of right cause there is little to no hope for this "young" mother!!!

belange

Answer by belange at 7:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• no. the irresponsible "mother" can technically have her child taken away for abandonment (in most states). the mother who cared for the child did what was in its best interest. the bio mother LEFT HER CHILD, she has ZERO right to be angry or otherwise affected by the outcome of the decision SHE made.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:09 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Not in my opinion. I'm willing to bet that the mom wasn't supplying money or formula while she "got herself together". And breast milk is better for baby anyway, and there's less work involved for the friend who was taking care of the baby. Mom should be grateful.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 7:09 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• no she doesnt have the right to be angry. she left her child so she could party for 6 weeks and left no formula for said baby to eat.....what else was she supposed to do? spend the 120 dollars it costs to feed a baby formula for 6 weeks. if its such a big deal maybe she should see of she can buy other moms breastmilk for the whole staging the formula back in.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 7:09 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• i agree with you ladies. i dont even think the mother shouldvebeen able to haveher child back. ~op
    Anonymous

• Yeah but now what is she supposed to do if she is dried up and cant produce breast milk...how is the child supposed to eat if they will not accept formula?
    Anonymous

• How is the child supposed to eat? Give the baby back to the mother who was breastfeeding or ask her if she would continue to supply it.
    Anonymous

• Keep offering formula. When the baby gets hungry enough he'll take it...or she could ask the mom with the breast milk to pump a little while longer and try mixing them to get accustomed to the taste of the formula. She should make sure that's ok with a professional first though, I I never breastfed for an extended amount of time so I don't know for sure it's ok to mix it like that.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 7:18 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• BTW anon, you can re-lactate. even a MAN can breastfeed... want to argue, research it first.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:35 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Yeah, but would a mom who gave her child away so she could party really be interested in re-lactating? I hear that takes a fair amount of work and determination, and this mom had her baby on formula from the beginning sounds like. That doesn't seem realistic in this instance.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 7:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2010