i am 18 weeks now and i have lost like 15 or 20 lgd since becoming preggers.

part of the weight loss is due to bad morning (all day) sickness. one of my co workers commented on how i had not gained any weight and that because i was a "big girl" i would have a very small baby. i am not trying to lose weight at all. could the weight loss have a negative effect on my baby?

jfrancis91680

Asked by jfrancis91680 at 7:14 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• dont worry. my best friend was always a big girl too and she lost 20 pounds with both of her pregnancies. your body will get the nesseccary nutrients to your baby if it has to take away from your body to do so. the effects of weight loss woll be on you not the baby. just take your vitamins daily so the effecxt will be minimal.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 7:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Im heavy set and lost 18 lbs with my first pregnancy and ended up gaining all that back plus an extra 5 lbs. With this pregnancy I lost 12 lbs and still have 8 more lbs to catch up. Im 31 weeks pregnant so Im sure by the end I would have made it all up and maybe some more.totally normal expecially if your heavy set cause your only supposed to gain 15 or 20lbs and then on top of that you have had morning sickness.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 8:26 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I'm overweight too. I have lost during this pregnancy and I am 21 wks. I also lost weight during my second pregnancy. My first two kids weighed 9 lbs 11 oz and 8 lbs 9 oz. Don't worry about harming the baby. Your doc will let you know if something is wrong.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 8:38 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• dont let them scare you. im overwieght, have lost 20lbs at this point, 19 weeks, and my baby is measuring big! its not uncommon to lose wieght, especially if you start out overweight.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 8:52 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• This is a great question for your OB. He/She should be able to guide you through any weight and nutrition issues during your pregnancy. You may also consider consulting a nutritionist to guide you by creating a plan for you.
    artC1s

Answer by artC1s at 9:51 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I have a very good friend that has always been a little heavier & she lost about 20 lbs while pregnant (to my knowledge never gained with baby) and he was a healthy little guy. Pretty sure he was atleast 8lbs. You'll be fine & so will baby!
    prettylilrae

Answer by prettylilrae at 11:35 PM on Feb. 23, 2010