Which would you do morning or afternoon preschool?

My son is going to be starting preschool in the Sept. and that is when baby #2 is also coming. I'm trying to decide if morning or afternoon preschool would be better. Morning runs from 9-11 and afternoon 12-2:30 and it is about a 20 minute drive each way. I'm leaning toward afternoon since I don't know if it will be too much to get things together in the morning. The only thing I'm worried about is afternoon nap for the baby (my ds doesn't nap anymore). What do you think? Do you think the baby would be flexible enough to nap on the go ect. Any thoughts appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Afternoon..Because if you up a lot overnight with the baby you are not going to feel like getting up and showered and out the door by 8 am..so if you go afternoon you won't be as rushed but the baby may nap in the car and you won't get anytime to yourself at home? I would do afternoon.

Anonymous

• As a preschool teacher,I'd say Morning. The morning time is when most preschools do the most work and education is done with the children.Ask your preschool for a copy of their daily schedule and curriculum you don't have to shower and everything before dropping your child off at preschool, many of our parents (especially the ones with new babies) will stay in their pjs and drop the child off and get back home and sleep or do whatever it is they need to do.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 7:41 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Our kids do morning.... they actually eat lunch there and we pick them up about 1, get home about 1:15. I think it's PERFECT.... the come home exhausted and nap... and thankfully lunch is already done, no mess/clean up, etc etc

In my house the successful nap makes for a pleasant evening so I'd never ever chance ruining it by a disruption!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• We did morning for a couple of reasons. First, it got them in the habit of starting the day bright and early so the transition to Kg wasn't a big deal. Second, they still napped so they'd come home, have lunch, then nap for an hour or so. If they didn't get a nap, they were very cranky by 5pm and the evening was miserable.
    indymom22

Answer by indymom22 at 9:14 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I wish we could have done mornings because my SS would be tired when we were on the way. so it would have been better if he could have rested in the afternoon. plus, his older sister was in school so he always wanted to know why he wasnt going to school when she was. ha ha.

i never had issues getting things together in the morning. my daughter (who was only 2 months old when he started preschool) was always up around 6 am. So....definately wouldnt have been an issue.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:25 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• We do morning PreK with our 3 year old ... 8:15am to 12:15pm. We only live 2 minutes away so I take him. The school (which is through the public school district we live in) feeds breakfast and lunch to the morning classes. This makes it to where I'm able to feed his brother who is 23 months old lunch around 11am and then put them both down for a nap by 12:30pm. I'm not a morning person, but I know its better for everyone to get started on that morning scedual because before we know it our kids will be in 2nd, 3rd, 4th grade and so on. If you just get to a scedual it will work out
    Mom_of_2_boyz87

Answer by Mom_of_2_boyz87 at 1:40 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I liked mornings personally, picked them up around 11-12 came home, did lunch then nap. Just worked for us.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:14 AM on Feb. 24, 2010