Worried about my son :(

Went to the doc for his 4 month check up today. He is only 11 pounds and 23 inches tall. She said he is in the 5 percentile for his weight, but 25 percentile for weight and height combined so she isn't worried right now. I don't understand how he is so little, he eats 4-6 oz every 2-3 hours! She said to start him on stage 1 baby foods, and rice cereal. I'm just so worried :( Has anyone else had a baby this small at 4 months? Is he going to be okay?

wahm_abbeyrose

Asked by wahm_abbeyrose at 7:43 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my baby at 4 months was 10lbs 26inches, and now shes almost 15 months and 32 inches and 22lbs so ya hes perfectly fine
    aliciaDnewman25

Answer by aliciaDnewman25 at 7:44 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• My DD was small too, just like all people babies grow at different rates, and I am willing to bet that his reflux that they haven't been dealing with has something to do with it, crying like he has been burns a lot of calories, I am sure once the reflux is under control I am sure he will gain weight.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about it, all babies grow different, my 15 month old has always been underweight going by there charts, he eats like a little onkey all the time and everything and he always wore cloths that is well over his age, and if you see him he don't look like he is underweight instead overweight, so don't worry about it cuz you can't chart every child cuz they all grow at there own pase.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 7:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• My 2nd was always in the 3-5% for weight and then between the 25-50% for height. He's now 10 and still tall and skinny. He eats at least as much as I do, and a lot of times more. But overall, he's very healthy and rarely gets sick - he's just thin!

Answer by missanc at 7:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• thanks everyone, you made me feel a lot better! :)
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 7:56 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 8:01 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• i personally would start on the rice cereal and stage one fruits, and then start veggies later on too. i started my son at 4 & hlf months old, and if he needs the weight, i think it would be good - the formula is still most important, but the cereal sticks to their bones yano.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:42 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Where'd he *start* from? You look for gain of about a pound a month, so where does he stack up on that? Percentiles are truly useless. They only tell you where your baby is compared to other babies. What good is that? Everyone is smaller than some and larger than others.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:15 PM on Feb. 23, 2010