Where would I find quinoa at the super market?

I hear its a very healthy whole grain and I want to try some recipes. Do you think it would be near the rice? I've just never seen it at the grocery store before.

Farrahann

Asked by Farrahann at 7:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Food & Drink

• it is usually sold in a box in the natural section of the grocery. Kroger has a "Natural & Health Foods" area. Publix has a "Greenwise Market" area. Harris teeter has it on the ethnic food aisle usually. The most common brand is sold in a teal blue box. 

http://daniellecooks.wordpress.com/2009/12/05/saffron-quinoa/

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:52 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I buy it in the bulk bins, but I believe that I have seen it near the rices. Ask someone who works in the store. You need to rinse quinoa very well or it may be bitter. Here is my favorite recipe with quinoa: STUFFED PEPPERS
    (The original recipe called for brown rice, I substitute quinoa)
    4 large red or green peppers
    1 T olive oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    2 stalks celery, diced
    1 t cumin
    1 t chili powder
    1 t basil
    ½ tsp oregano
    2 cups cooked quinoa or brown rice
    1 ½ cups cooked and drained red kidney beans (or one can; really, any bean will do)
    2 T tamari
    Cayenne to taste
    1 ½ cups canned tomatoes with their juice
    1 small can tomato paste
    Thinly sliced cheese (optional)

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:56 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Wash the peppers and cut them in half length wise. Remove the seeds. Place the peppers, cut side down, on a rack above boiling water. Cover the pot and steam for about 10 min or until they are just beginning to get soft. DO NOT STACK ON TOP OF ONE ANOTHER...they will not steam evenly. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onions, celery, cumin, chili powder, basil and oregano. Saute until the onions are almost tender. Add the cooked quinoa and beans. Mix well; then add the tamari and the cayenne to taste. Mix again. Lightly oil a shallow 7 x 11 inch baking dish. Fill each pepper with the bean and quinoa mixture and place the peppers side by side in the baking dish. Mix together the canned tomatoes and the tomato paste. If the tomatoes are whole, chop them up or break them up with a fork. Pour the tomato mixture over the stuffed peppers.

cont.

• Cover the baking dish with foil and bake at 350´ for 30 minutes. Uncover the dish and top each pepper with a thin slice of cheese if desired. Return the dish to the oven and bake an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:57 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I buy in at the bulk section at our supermarket. I eat it like a breakfast cereal with a little honey or maple syrup, bananas, and cinnamon. Sometimes, a little brown or raw sugar is good too!

I just boil water as if I'm making rice, 2 cups and 1 cup of quinoa, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or so until it's the consistency I want.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 8:11 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Is quinoa lower in fat, calories and carbs? i have to get rid of my belly jiggle!! LOL!
    stacyfru

Answer by stacyfru at 10:06 AM on Feb. 24, 2010