Potty training a 2 and a half year old!!!

I have three kids age 4, 3, and 2. my older two are potty trained. my last one is a little stubborn. he will be 3 in july but i felt he was ready because he talks very weel for his age. we actually argued over the fact that he was going to use the potty and not a diaper and he told me he was going to use the diaper (seriously) so i never thought i would be asking for advise on how to pursuade him to use the potty but can i have some pointers please

marie0430815

Asked by marie0430815 at 7:51 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give rewards for it, something he really wants that he can only get being a big boy who uses the potty.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Back off a bit. He's not quite ready yet. I have had 4 My 1st and 4th were 3 at completely trained my second and 3rd were right at 2. He'll get it. Let it go for a few days then try again.
    Anonymous

• because he talks really good. he will tell me what is or isnt going to do its like he just don't like the idea of using a potty. but i might try the rewards. i give him praise when he does submit to the potty so.....
    marie0430815

Answer by marie0430815 at 9:15 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I'd just take diapers away, and still reward for going to the potty. Never punish for accidents. If you think that's harsh, you can jump on the waiting until they're 3 bandwagon, but if he can tell you flat out he doesn't want to use the potty and he wants to use a diaper, I think he can probably use the potty just fine. Enlist the older ones, too. Mine is motivated most by her older sibling.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 10:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2010