When your potty training how do you manage it out side?

Im potty training my 24month old. But i have to go to the store should i put a diaper on? Do you take ur toddler in to public restrooms?

Bless2haveU

Asked by Bless2haveU at 8:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• consider potty covers by neat solutions. (brand) in my neck of the woods both target AND walmart sell them and they work out to about .50 a pop and 1 pack will probably be all u need. they're small and fit easily in purse or diaper bag. otherwise carry some paper towels with u, just in case the public toilet ur in doesnt have toilet covers (few do)

the key for going in public is potty before and after every single thing u do. going to a restaurant?

Potty
    get in car
    drive to restaurant, arrive
    potty before you're seated
    order, have a drink, breadstick, etc
    potty
    eat
    potty
    carseat, drive home,
    potty
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:22 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Haha! Fun times.... Just make sure you always, always, ALWAYS make them go potty before you load the groceries in the car & strap them in the car seat. ALWAYS. No exception. Don't even ask. If you ask a 2 year old if they need to potty before you leave the store, they will say no 99.9% of the time. But, after you load the groceries in your hot car, & you are buckling your little darlin into the car seat, all of a sudden........ Gotta PEE!!! oooooBAD!!! Can't make it till we get home!!!! Have fun, and keep a spare outfit in the car!
    carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 8:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• That sounds like FUN..LoL
    Thats really going to help me thank you ladys.
    Bless2haveU

Answer by Bless2haveU at 8:58 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Well, my children are extremely small and we potty train earlier than most. So, I carry a portable little potty, I think it's a potette. Anyway, you put a shopping bag on it with some paper towels (or buy their expensive ones), and they pee in it. It also converts to a potty seat when they're bigger. So, I use this potty seat in the bathrooms or outside or wherever. When they're just getting it down, when they tell you they have to go, they really can't wait. I come prepared. I found it inconsistent to wear diapers / pullups sometimes. We didn't have success until I ditched it all together.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 10:14 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• The other thing I do is we sit on the potty before going in, no matter what. Trust me on that. I learned the hard way...
    whiteroses82

• I agree with what the others have said. I'm working on the potty training right now with my 20 month old (he's almost there). Mine does really well about giving me an honest answer when I ask him if he has to go. I ask regularly and when I'm out and about (just started to do this) I make him go before we leave the house, ask regularly while we're out, take him to the potty before we leave where ever we're at, ask regularly while we're out someplace else, potty before we leave there. He's done really well and we haven't had any accidents while out running errands.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 11:31 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• My kiddo REFUSED to potty train until after age 3. Closer to 3.5. This was something that caused my much stress and shame that he was late potty training. But now, it think it was the greatest thing ever. After I finally found his thumbscrew to make him use the potty, he has not had one single accident. He has ZERO problems holding it. He has ZERO problems going in a public bathroom, and he has ZERO problems wiping his own butt. Point is... don't stress! If he needs a diaper to go the store, let him have a diaper. Public bathrooms are scary when you are that small. :)
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 11:59 PM on Feb. 23, 2010