I am having trouble w/ mt 6 yrs old in Math. It seems he forgets to add and subtract when it comes to money count. Can anyone help me, and im stressing evenmore because I am 7 and half mths pregnant?

taurus_of_3

Asked by taurus_of_3 at 8:23 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well I am going to give you advice you may not like, but I say just keep teaching him, and it is ok that he can't do it yet 6 is very young to understand those concepts, so is you just keep showing him he will eventually catch on. Don't stress yourself or him because it will be harder if you do. GL
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:37 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• oh I know what you mean. Wait'll he gets into middle school and high school with the newest math methods -

try giving him a piece of paper with real coins taped to it and amount under it in the same position as on
    a page of directions from teacher matching spot for spot with those (lousy!!) pictures of coins on the teacher's page ---

Pllus give him real coins to touch and use in math homework -enough loose change somehow to cover the math problem.

Also tag small objects on the table or desk with amounts on homework page or close to that.

Sometimes touching in early years what's being taught can help learning.

When one of my daughter's was in third grade she had a math problem that was so bizarre I called several friends and relatives tosee who I could stump with it, more than one was stumped!!!

Try staying calm, I have three kids I know how hard homework and a pregnant mom can be. Sometimes store
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 8:42 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Set up a "store" - label his toys with pricetags. Get some fake money (a teacher supply store has some that works well for fairly low cost.) Have him "buy" different items. He has to count out what to pay - exact, you can't give him change lol. Then change it as he gets better. Have him buy two items. Have him get change, but have him tell you what the amount of change will be.
    Anonymous

• I'm not entirely sure I understand your question.
    Can your child count by 5, 10 and 25?
    It's easier for a child to learn counting money if they know these things.
    The child should also understand counting to 100 and double digit addition.
    6 is very young for counting money.
    Anonymous