how much would you pay?

so my husband just got called back to work :)! YAY!. he brings home $690 a week, I bring home $250/wk. so we are going to have his mom babysit she would not want anything but I want to pay her something. what do you recommend? I was thinking $75/wk while my two older ones are in school, then $100 for summer.
here are the hours: M-7:45a to 3p, T-7:45 to 10a, W-7:45 to 1p, T-7:45-2p, F-7:45-2p.
Does this sound fair, if I gave a $100 that means I would be working for $150/wk. am I being to cheap?
Also I was going to ask my neighbor if she can watch my children on Tu. for $5, 3:40p-4:30 for 3 kids, is that too cheap?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• What part of the country are babysitters getting $10/hr? I know it's been a LONG time since I was babysitting age, but that's more than minimum wage! I thought babysitting was something you did for some extra cash, not a well paying teen job. Maybe I'm way off...
    Kelly913

Answer by Kelly913 at 11:29 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I think you should have his Mom tell you what she was thinking, and what she would like to see from it.

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:28 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• maybe the mom doesnt want money because she just enjoys spending time with her grandchildren. my mother would never charge me to watch our son. its not "babysitting" to her, she just loves her time with him. you should ask her, or have your husband ask her.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:29 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• she doesn't want anything.. ((OP HERE)) I want to pay!
    Anonymous

• As far as the neighbor goes, consider trying to save the $5. Is it an older person, would offering to mow/rake/shovel once a week in return be better? $5 a week x 52 weeks is $260... you could have a spa day... lol!!!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:29 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• ..I know she does enjoy it.. I am not use to people doing free stuff for me.. so I feel like I have to pay
    Anonymous

• if she doesn't want anything, maybe give her gift cards instead. one for her (fave restaurant, whatever) and a grocery store one to cover snacks and other stuff the kids will be into. And supplement w/ some cash
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:31 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• (OP) hib.. nope not old but she is great to my kids and she said whenever we need her to just call her. My mom thinks $5 is cheap and I should offer her $10
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 8:32 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• What I would do instead, is periodically give your MIL gift cards to her favorite restaurants or stores. If she's not wanting money, then she's really not wanting money and might feel insulted if you give her money. As for your neighbor, I'd tell you flat out "no" if you offered me only $5 to watch 3 children for an hour every week. My daughter's babysitting fee is $10 per hour for the 1st kid, $5 for the second and $1 per kid per hour for more than 2 kids.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• she will be at our house, she has 2 pitbills that are NOT good with adults, or children. gift card! great idea.....! they don't go out to eat ever, they are too cheap!..lol
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 8:34 PM on Feb. 23, 2010