Do you give your kids a weekly allowance? If so, how much and what are their ages?

Alizzie_Mom

Asked by Alizzie_Mom at 8:31 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my daughter will be 4 in may (son is 5) and at that time we plan on starting a buck a week per age thing. They'll have a spend/save system and it has to be earned by good behavior, etc... and will take $$$ away for truly horrendous behavior like violent fighting, etc etc

We have a few months, haven't worked out all the kinks yet. I was thinking that the $$$ might hurt us financially 'cuz $9 a week total is like close to $500... but then my husband reminded me how nasty they can act sometimes and they'd sooo rarely earn the full amount! Good call, daddy. Good call.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:35 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• We started a chore chart (i have a 6 yr old and soon to be 5 yr old) and each day once all their chores are done they receive paper dollars. Once they reach 10 they get $5 and so on. But if they misbehave etc, i take those paper dollars away. its been really working for us.
    MamaSpurg

Answer by MamaSpurg at 8:43 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• no. not weekly. But they do have a chore chart and they get stickers. When they fill a row on the chore chart then they get a dollar in their jar. If they get into trouble then they do their chores for free.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:46 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• oh and they are 4 and 5
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:47 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Ours is 6. He gets 50 cents a day for setting the table, cleaning up towels and stuff after his bath, cleaning up his room daily, helping me bring in and put away groceries, and folding his clothes weekly.
    Anonymous

• He is 7 and he earns 50 cents every 12 hours if we have no issues out of him. I feel like askinghim to go 24 hours without issues is a bit much at his age, andto take it away because of that, it isn't cool.
    So, we do a star for every 12 hours. At the end of the week, he gets the total adding up to 50 cents per star.
    bellaamore

Answer by bellaamore at 9:03 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• we have a chore chart for our son and it works great.. he gets everything done know with out even having to go look at it.. We don't give money though we give choice of what he wants to do- rent a movie,get a choch shake,or a 3 to5 dollar toy each week.. At the end of 4 weeks if he has done everything all month and hasn't missed anything then he gets his choice of Bowling, or movies, or something like that! So far that all has worked out great.... Know we have moved on with the attitude he has started getting, the wii has been taken compeletly away and for every day he is good he gets a check mark and at the end of the week for every check mark he gets 10 minutes of wii on sunday.. so far that is working... :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• My lil man is 6and isincharge of feeding the dogs everyday, putting his clothes in the laundry rom and his dishes in the sink. He gets $5 on friday.(we forget sometimes and he doesnt even ask. LOL) But I do not link chores with behavior.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I have an 8yr. old daughter and her allowance is $4.00, and I also have a son who will be 7 in March and his is $3.00. They must both pick up their toys,clothes,shoes, complete homework daily without fussing. They can each earn another $1.00 over the weekend for helping with weekend chores.
    pooh13

Answer by pooh13 at 7:12 PM on Feb. 26, 2010