Would you mad? (something my son's teacher did)

He had to write an essay about being 100 years old because it's the 100th day of school. Well, I helped him. He goes to hand it in and she told him it can't be ripped out of a notebook. On the directions she didn't say to use his Writer's notebook. We did it last week when kids were home from school and I don't remember if his notebook was home so I used papers from another notebook. Do you think that was fair for her to do? She should of said not to rip it. I wrote her a note to please except it.

sweetmom1007

Asked by sweetmom1007 at 8:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Most teachers with this fetish, are clear about what is acceptable at the start of the year. They dislike the "chads" when its ripped from a spiral so just trim those edges off.
    IF he needed to write it in a specific notebook to be retained there, she should have made specific instructions on this, either verbal or written.
    FooLynRoo

Answer by FooLynRoo at 9:18 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I would be upset if you know for sure that he was not told to not rip it out of a notebook. I would go in and talk to her about it, and if it was an issue of him not following directions and telling you, then see if he can just copy it over into the notebook. If she didn't tell them that they she has no right to say it now, and should not dock his grade for it.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:51 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Did the teacher accept the essay or dock points for it?
    Anonymous

• Did it have the little paper pieces hanging off the edge of the paper? Teachers hate that, and she had probably already given them (the class) verbal instructions in the start of the school year not to do that. That's just my guess. But i agree it would be irritating.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:51 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• make a photo copy of it and hand that one in.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:54 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• That sounds silly to me! I teach and as long as there was not a pattern of not following directions I would either dock points (not many) or have him re-write it in the notebook. The point of educating a child is not to "trick" them but to help them be a better student and citizen. If you think she is being punitive than you need to speak with her and find out her reasoning. Kids learn from their mistakes but sometimes the lesson is lost if a teacher is too harsh.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:56 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• i would call her and ask her to let him copy it into his writing notebook. if she says no, i think that's unreasonable of her.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:10 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I think that the teacher was right. Ripping pages out of a notebook to hand in is very sloppy. Teach your son professionalism.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 9:28 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• huh? He did the assignment but she didn't like that it was ripped out of a notebook...wow...how does this woman get through life...and how does someone so intolerant end up being a teacher of our children.....

Sad. Way to teach the boy that all his hard work doesn't matter if it doesn't "look pretty". GAh.
    Anonymous

• No I wouldn't be mad, I think it's pretty standard practice that assignments not be turned in on ratty notebook paper with frayed ends.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 9:43 PM on Feb. 23, 2010