Marijuana while pregant?

My SIL is smoking pot A LOT and is just a few months pregnant. She also has a 4 year old. Having never smoked it myself, I don't know what to say to her, but I do feel that what she's doing is stupid. Any ideas for what I can say to her in the hopes of getting her to stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If it's detected in her system when she gives birth the child will most likely be taken, so you should talk to her. Don't call CPS, at least give her a CHANCE to quit. Then maybe call if she doesn't even care.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 9:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Call CPS.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:23 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I agree with calling CPS. Also, if you know what dr/ob she goes to, you can call them and alert them to it.
    Anonymous

• I have personal experience with this. You need to tell her about my experience and she will stop...if she cares. My brother smokes a lot of pot and I hung around him a lot. You know how when you're pregnant, everytime you go to the OB you have to pee in a cup? They test for drugs. Marijuana showed up in my pee just from being around my brother when he smoked. They had to contact CPS and when my son was born, they took his first poop to test it...and if it had come up positive, I would have lost him right there on the spot, as well as my 2 yr old. I know someone who was a recovering heroin addict..she stopped when she found out she was pregnant and started smoking pot. Little did she know every time she peed in that cop at her OB's they were finding marijuana in her urine. When her child was born, CPS came in and took that child right out of her arms, and now she doesn't have a child. This is a serious situation. Good luck
    Anonymous

• There's nothing you can say. It's her body, her child, and her choice. She will have to deal with the repercussions either way.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 9:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Yes it is her body, but this is against the law. Call CPS and make a report. Call the cops when you know the pot is in her posession. If she chooses to have a child, then she needs to adhere to making the fetal development the best that it can be.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 9:34 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• As someone that works in the medical field I say that you need to turn her in to cps but tell her all the effects that she is doing to her baby. They do not test your urine for drugs everytime you pee in the cup it is for sugar or atleast it is in Kansas. It all depends on what state you r in. Do what fills right to you. If you dont say anything and the baby comes out with problems will you be able to live with yourself
    babygirl9669

Answer by babygirl9669 at 9:54 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I would no doubt call CPS. She has a child right now she should be taking care of instead of wasting time and money on drugs. Its stupid and selfish and If she choose to have sex and get pregnant she should choose to put those children first before anything, even herself. Who watches her other child while she is high? hmm prolly her right so that poor child is exposed as well. great mother right there
    cudybug

Answer by cudybug at 10:10 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• When I was married to my pot head ex, all his friends and their gf's were smokers...I did it a few times but didn't like the feeling, anyway when these people had babies the babies were just fine as they got older still just fine. I do not know why but it didn't seem to affect the baby the way alcohal would have
    Anonymous

• Psychological studies have shown that pot smoking during pregnancy can cause learning disabilities, behavioral problems and cognitive delays.

Also you can't not judge a child as "fine" when you don't have the drug free baby to compare it to.
    Anonymous