Breastfeeding question

Im breastfeeding my little girl. And last night while feeding her, i started to bleed and she drank it. I felt so bad that i did something to her. I called L&D and they said its fine. Im still worried. When did breastfeeding get better for you? It really hurts, she is latched on correctly. And she is a very good eater. I use nipple cream for it, after each feeding. Today i had to make her a bottle of my milk by hand since i dont have a pump yet. Any advice on breastfeeding?

mommy2be77

Asked by mommy2be77 at 9:27 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It took me about two months to get rid of the pain and I had a good latch also. The blood is not a big deal and she will pee a little bit of it out. oh and there are these gel things that you can put in the fridge and put them on after you are done feeding and they are great but I don't remember what they are called.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 9:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• it WILL get easier. it will take time, and it can be pretty painful, but when you get to the point where your child looks up at you and smiles while nursing, you know it was all worth it. hand expression is a great idea. i always got so much more milk by hand expressing than i got by pumping. i was able to control it better, and i found what stimulated the milk best. keep nursing. i would recommend sitting on your couch and just watching TV or listen to music, or read a book while nursing. try to get your mind off of that initial pain. also, if you're comfortable with it, try to nurse while lying down. that was when i was most relaxed in the beginning. (i ended up being able to sling baby girl up and nurse while walking around. it felt so good to be able to be so confident in myself!)
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 9:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• how old is she? in my experience the first week was by far the toughest! blood will not hurt the baby (it's gross i know lol). use lanoish (sp? lol it's in a purple tube). don't wipe it off before you feed her.... it's fine for her to nurse with that on. just keep nursing and it will get better. make sure you wear a supportive bra all the time and get into a schedule as soon as you can if you haven't already. i wouldn't do bottle feeding until you have breast feeding down though..... you should concentrate on bf first and then work on bottle too. good luck and don't give up....
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• It took a couple weeks but it got better for me. I have a breastfeeding councellor who came and gave me nipple shells and they worked wonders! Even with my DD latching correctly, I was bleeding, bruised and everything and within a day, I felt so much better. If you can go buy some, I highly recommend them. Another thing I tried was gel pads? I think that's what they were and they helped alot too.
    Don't give up, it DOES get better. Good luck!
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 9:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I hope it gets better for you... I had a horrible time breast feeding that child sucked so hard it took all the color off made mine crack and bleed... so i pumped instead... there is a cream you can buy at babies r us for your nipples and its safe for breast feeding babies too it helped me a million percent but i ended up having to pump because they had to give my baby a feeding tube. contact la leche league or your neighborhood wic office or a lactation consultant...
    jazmya_mom

Answer by jazmya_mom at 9:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Power through, woman! Hahaha! I'm assuming she's a couple weeks or less. For me, it always gets bad around the time the baby is 1 week & gets better after week 2. I know you don't want to hear this, but giving baby your milk in a bottle is not going to help. It may change the way the baby feeds and create a bad latch & cause even more frustration for you. Also, for now, get rid of the nipple cream & rub a bit of breast milk on your nipples after feeding. Then air dry as long as possible. 15 minutes AT LEAST. If you ever need any help, feel free to PM me. I want every mom to succeed at breastfeeding.
    carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 9:39 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Six weeks is like the magic point. After that it gets so much easier. The 2nd and 3rd weeks are always the most difficult for me. For your nipples, put breastmilk on them and let them air dry. That's the best healing method. =)
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 2:50 AM on Feb. 24, 2010