Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How fair is this?

I'm fostering my adopted daughters brother. Now get this, my house is good enough to adopted a child, my house is good enough for a foster child to live with me, but its not good enough for the state to pay for the child living with me!! I'm not in it for money, it's just the fact that i can adopt a child but not be a certified foster parent. Am I the only one who thinks this is silly??


Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Adoption

This question is closed.
Answers (12)
  • Call the actual state agency over your county. Ask them, get names, and then report back you verified and checked, point out their mistake, and have them put in writing they plan to correct it from this day forward. Or just report them. My guess is they are trying to save the state money and messing with you - they think you are an easy target to not get up in arms about it. Show them they are wrong. Unless you really are scared they will mess with the adoption - which means their tactics worked. You can always document what they say, have them put it in writing, send e-mails to have them confirm it (ex: I was just wondering if you can confirm I have the right understand of X, Y, and Z), finalize the adoption, go back and sue saying they posed threats of not being able to adopt if you complained.

    Answer by frogdawg at 7:27 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

  • oh how NICE and caring you are!!!!! WOW!!!! why NOT??? I'm sorry I don't know much about adoption.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

  • because he and my daughter share a room!!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

  • Is it an issue of their budget? No, it doesn't make sense, just happens to be the way many things are anymore.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

  • OP here:::They told me if I can add on I can get certified... I just wanted to say sure I'll add on if you're paying! We're remodeling a 3 bedroom home though....... we'll be moved within the next 2 months... but it's still bothering me about the situation now!

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

  • Sounds like a load of crap to me....

    Answer by frogdawg at 11:00 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

  • I know that they are brother and sister, but in all likelihood they have rules about opposite gender children sharing rooms. And in orde to be certified you probably have to have a separate room for each gender. Especially when there may be a history of sexual abuse (not in this case, but in general in the foster system).

    Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:05 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

  • Well when I went and read the handbook online it says a child can share a room with the opposite sex until one of them turns 6!! My daughters 5...IDK maybe rules have changed and it wasnt updated I just think its funny that I can adopt but not foster!

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

  • It's now 5 in Ohio. If you're needing help with raising the child check with social services about services outside of them who will help with sibling placements. We get help every month with our grandchildren because they were placed with us by the courts. There is money out there for Kinship care which is what you most likely would qualify for.

    Answer by baconbits at 9:35 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

  • You said it yourself -- because a boy and a girl share a room. You would not today pass a homestudy be able to adopt a boy if he'd have to share a room with a girl.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Feb. 24, 2010