eat before or after working out?

so i workout at night around 630 i go to the gym .... i am starving by then and i normally eat before the gym b/c it makes me not so tired .... but i had ppl tell me not to eat before i workout... i don't stuff myself and it don't bother me to eat first....then i come home and have a yogurt before bed... is that bad should i wait and eat after the gym? i would be home like almost 8pm if i waited .

Armywife510

Asked by Armywife510 at 9:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• if you eat anything before workout it should be a protein bar or a nutrient shake ...dont eat like a piece of chicken and beans..it fill fill you up and you wont burn as many calories as you could..i take shakeology before i work out... it like a meal in a cup.. give me energy to work out and leaves me feeling great all through the day..
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 9:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I eat dinner around 5:30 and go workout at 7 then when i get home a little after 8 i have a small snack. Eating immediately before your work out is bad but if its been at least an hour youll be fine. I also work out in the am, i eat breakfast around 7 am and start my workout at 8:30. I havent had any problems I am still losing weight and i dont cramp up while working out.

You could have a small snack before your workout and dinner after wards.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:54 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Carbs before workout and protein afterwards is the mantra. About an hour before your workout, have a piece of fruit or something. I am a swimmer and have a small fruit smoothie made of frozen fruit, skim milk, and honey an hour before and it sustains me throughout the workout. Then I go home and have dinner. If I don't eat something before working out, I am incredibly sluggish. If I eat something heavy before working out, the same applies. It's going to be about finding the best balance for your body. Working out on an empty stomach seems like a good idea in theory, but you don't have the fuel for endurance and you can be prone to stuff yourself when you get home.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2010