What is going on? (teachers or school employees, please look)

My daughter mentioned to me today that the school counselor called her out of class and asked her questions such as: how many brothers and sisters do you have, what makes you sad, do you have a big house, who gets in trouble the most in your house, why did your mom home-school you?

This is my daughter's history, and why she says the counselor was asking her such questions... I home-schooled my daughter for about 2 months at the beginning of the school year. I found it hard, so she went back to public school. She started school on the same exact day with another new student. They are now best friends. She says the counselor pulled them both out (at different times) because she was talking with all the new students. My daughter gets straight A's, but she is definitely the drama queen of our family. She is also the middle child (#3 out of 5) and likes attention where she can get it. What is going on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I also should mention that her friend seems to have alot of problems. She is moving again after being in this school for about 2 months. She doesn't get good grades and her dad is in prison. Do you think that they just spoke with my daughter as a sort of cover up for interogating the other student? Is this common practice in a public school? None of my other kids have ever been questioned like this.
    Anonymous

• Call the counselor and ask. Generally counselors can talk to kids about school, some other things without parental permission, But you always have the right to talk to the counselor and get your concerns addressed. Doesn't mean you'l like the answers, what ever it is, but you can ask.
    Anonymous