Can I host my own baby shower/party?

Ok, i asked this question earlier and I got alot of I dont get it answers. Ok, out here, 2nd and 3rd baby showers are VERY common. And with DD, my mom said she would host it but put it off until DH asked MIL to throw it (she hates me, that is established, end of story) and the only reason she hosted it was because DH practically begged her for my sake. If she hadn't hosted it, I wouldn't have gotten one. It was a disaster for me, and no one even spoke to me. So I know its tacky but I was wondering, considering the circumstances and that I have only 1 close g/f that MIGHT be able to (doubt it) would It be too tacky for DH or myself to throw one? Or a Baby BBQ or something more laid back?

BTW. Im due in Oct so I have plenty of time. I just want opinions. Thanks!

shortycmlb

Asked by shortycmlb at 9:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Hey! I was very involved in the planning of my baby shower. I had a co-ed baby shower and we had this huge BBQ with about 110 people. More were invited but that is how many came! It was amazing! If you are having problems with family~ I say throw your own! Ask your mom and close friends if they can help you in some way. I have been to many baby showers that, honestly, many of the girls there did not want to go to... my fiancee and I are very into family and friends and hanging out with BBQ or cooking good food... whatever~ so we thought it would be a great idea if that was how we did the baby shower. It was such a huge success! Some of my closest friends brought food and my Mother in law did the invites which told the men to bring pampers... I have hardly had to buy anything! And to all those girls who had negative comments... It's 2010! Hello!!!!!! We don't have to do things the way they have always been done!!
    Hunter817

Answer by Hunter817 at 12:35 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• If you were on your first child, then yeah go ahead and host it, but if your not don't throw yourself another one...that's tacky. Now, if someone like your friends decided to throw you one, then that's different
    Anonymous

• I threw myself a babyshower for my 2nd baby ... Only because my first one was a nightmare. A few friends of mine put on together for me. Well during the babyshower everytime I'd try to get up someone would yell at me to sit down. I never even saw what the cake looked like, and still to this day don't know cuz the girl who took pictures only got the backs of everyones head.

It really is nice planning your own. You get to decide the decorations, the cake ... everything. And its what you want not what someone else thinks you want. Then on the invites just put your mom's name under the host so it wont seem like you threw yourself one!!!
    Mom_of_2_boyz87

Answer by Mom_of_2_boyz87 at 10:03 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• i agree with anon 959. its especially tacky when its not your first child. i hate to bring this up but if no one is willing to have a shower for u who would u invite? it just doesnt seem like a way to make new friends and would create resentment among the ones u have imho. a better idea would b to join some groups like mommy and me or the like and make some new friends and u might get surprised when one of these women throw u a shower for this baby. gl.
    emily1234

Answer by emily1234 at 10:06 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Do it why not!!! if thy come fine if they dont fine....
    jazmya_mom

Answer by jazmya_mom at 10:06 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I only attend showers for the first baby...unless its been many years between their babies or a house fire or flood ruined all the baby things from a previous baby. I think its tacky to have a shower for every baby or to give yourself a shower. Just my opinion.
    mbc324

Answer by mbc324 at 10:13 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Why are you asking this again???You had like 50 responses for the same question earlier..Obviously you are going to do what you want anyway..

Anonymous

• mbc324 I only attend showers for the first baby...unless its been many years between their babies or a house fire or flood ruined all the baby things from a previous baby. I think its tacky to have a shower for every baby or to give yourself a shower. Just my opinion.

I agree to a point. If this baby is a different sex,I can see having another one,but not throwing it yourself.

mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 10:31 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Only reason I asked again anon is because 1 of 3 answers i got were I dont get the question. Were not going to find out if it is a boy or a girl. And i gave away ALL of my DDs stuff even the BIG ticket items like carseat/stroller/bouncer/swing ect so we have nothing.
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 10:37 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• It's extremely tacky to throw yourself a shower because it's like your asking for gifts which your not supposed to do according to edicate rules and anyone I've ever met for that matter.

You can throw a "Welcome Home Baby BBQ" after the baby is born. That way guest will know that they are coming to meet the new little and are not required to bring a gift.
    Anonymous