What do you expect of your preschoolers(3-4) teachers?

I have been a preschool teacher for about 4 months. What the kids in my class do and lack of anything knowlege able has me stumped. I understand parents work at how with kids but alot of the baiscs aren't there. Like how to sit at a table, when we should be quiet, how to sit still. I work hard on my lesson plans I would like to teach the kids who will do these things, but can't do to those that won't sit still and have to be redirected many times.

I don't mean to complain, sorry bad day.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Are you alone with the kids? do you have a co teacher / assistant? Where I worked the ratio for that age was 1:10. What I would do is split the kids into groups, 2 groups of 3 and 1 group of 4 and put them in centers. Two of the groups would be in a child directed center (dress up, puzzles, housekeeping, car, etc) and I would do my lesson plan with the other group. We would take about 10 to 15 minutes at each center. It was a lot easier then with the small group to do lesson plans than with all 10 children. Oh, I would go over the theme / book of the day at circle time and give them a little overview of what was to come in centers.
    Anonymous

• I have been a pre-k teacher (4 year olds) for three years. And it sounds to me that you have unreasonable expectations. They are in pre-school. They have only been on this earth for 3-4 YEARS! At three and four years old it is YOUR responsibility to teach them how things are to be done. You are (at least you should be) the person who went to school to do this job, not the parents, and should understand this! It is basic child development. You need to make a routine and stick with it. Do the same thing everyday the same way at the same time. They only have a 5-10 minute attention span at best. They need to move and talk constantly, that is how they learn! Kids at this age learn and SHOULD BE LEARNING through PLAY! Think center time! An hour of center time and an hour of outside time is a must where I live!

http://www.nncc.org/Child.Dev/ages.stages.3y.html
    http://www.nncc.org/Child.Dev/ages.stages.4y.html
    Anonymous

• If you are doing appropriate activities your children shouldn't have to be constantly re-directed. The number one thing is being flexible. If you can't handle normal development maybe you should try older kids...
    Anonymous