I hate this...

So I have watched that movie about the pregnancy pact, and now I am watching 16 and pregnant... Dont know how I happened upon these shows, but they really terrify me. My daughter is not even two, but I am so scared for the teen years. High school has changed so much just since I went (just 7 years ago). I hate the way teenage girls in general act, but it seems to be getting worse. I am going to work as hard as I can to keep a level head on my daughter, but I wish there was something I could do to make a real difference for the way things are going for girls today... Any pointers? Any movements going on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Movements? Take control over what you expose your children to. That's a great way to not let the over-sexed media influence your child. Live by example is a great way to show your child how she can carry herself.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:07 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• The depo shot. Make her go onto forums of people that have STD's and such and see what they have to say
    Anonymous

• MY DOUGHTER IS 13 AND SHES IN 6TH GRADE IN JR HIGH AND I WORRY ABOUT THAT TOO ! ! ALL I DO IS TALK TO HER ABOUT STUFF ALL THE TIME ! I AGREE WITH U ALL THE WAY ! ! GOOD LUCK SWEETY ! !
    Anonymous

• first- enjoy the age she is now and don't freak out. always try and do your best, keep the lines of communication open. be a good example. things may be different by the time she gets there.
    My girls are 14 and 16. they watch those shows and we talk about them as they watch.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:10 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• The best thing I think you can do is talk to your child and set a good example for her. If you want to do something else, Big Brothers/Big Sisters always need help. Also the charity Do One Thing works with homeless teens and can always use a contribution.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 10:11 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• one thing you have to remember is all the crap they said all teenagers were doing beck when we were teenagers. There were new reports all the time about things I had never heard of that 'all' teenagers were supposedly doing. Things like dipping cigarettes in formaldehyde, I wouldn't have even known where to get it. Or huffing - ALL teenagers were huffing paint. It never even occurred to me to do it and when I heard about it was just gross. I was by no means a great kid either, I just know what was stupid. The news blows things way out of proportion. Just be a good and fair mother, teach them what they need. Yeah, some of it is a crap shoot, but there is no use stressing over it yet.
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 10:13 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Oh I am totally enjoying the age she is now. I have been watching this show tonight... Its just getting to me. I am not just worried about sex and pregnancy... its also the attitude... I dont really know any teenagers right now, but everyone I see out and about or on TV has no respect for anyone or anything, and they are constantly numb and texting.
    Anonymous

• I have a 17yo girl, 22yo girl, and my son is 25yo. All 3 were talked to by me since preschool years when they could really understand good touch, bad touch. If a touch makes some one feel sad or scared inside of them and that person cries or feel like crying then the touch is bad tell a loved grownup a safe grownup.

Birth control choices have been talked about too since preteen year, drugs, drinking, guns, sex. i've also talked with them about gender roles - don't know if my girls will have babies. Several loved friends and family have had pregnancy difficulties and sadness. I've tried to instill in my daughters that their worthiness is based on their life not on a birth or adoption of a child.
    My son did babysitting for his sisters over the years, he's still not anxious to be a dad yet.

Be upfront with your kids. Tell them bad people are in the world but listen to mommy and your safe.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:21 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I'm only 22 years old ... But just keep an open mind about everything. Don't try to shelter your daughter, give her advice. Teach her what you know is wrong from right. Then let her go out learn from mistakes that will come up in her life. Some of those bigger than others. But we all know its our mistakes that make us who we are later in life. To prevent pregnancy talk to her about sex at an early age. Let her know you are okay if your not the one she confides in, as long as she is using protection. Also talk to her about drugs and what they do. You have so many years, and if you let her know your morals/beliefs she will most likely follow them.
    Mom_of_2_boyz87

Answer by Mom_of_2_boyz87 at 10:31 PM on Feb. 23, 2010