LO has stopped growing?

My DS is 15 mo old and has been battling some food allergies. We recently tried an elimination diet around the time he was 13 1/3 mo old and he didn't eat very much and his weight definitely dropped. At his 1 year checkup he was 22lb 6oz and 30 in long and at his 15 mo, he was 22lb 7oz and 30 1/4 in. The doctor is worried that he isn't growing. I'm terrified. I can't MAKE him eat..and I thought he ate okay. Has anyone gone through this or do you have any advice for me?

schmoo_mommy

Asked by schmoo_mommy at 6:58 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my now two year old son is only >5th percentile. other then being small, hes totally healthy, hes been to the doctors once for something other then his checkups. as long as she active and otherwise healthy i wouldnt stress about it.
    the way i look at it...some one had to be in the fifth percentile why not him.
    and another thought...is it possable with childhood obesity being so high in this country that all those overweight babies are throwing off the chart and making our kids who would have been in the normal range 10-20 years ago look small.
    i wouldnt look to much into that growth chart, go with your instincts
    bkristine_00

Answer by bkristine_00 at 10:37 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• My daughter is insanely picky, and actually lost weight between her 18 and 24 month checkups, because she never wanted to eat. I've found that your best bet is to feed them what they'll eat, and not make a big deal about it. I try to make mealtime as pleasant as possible, and feed London her favorite foods (other than cookies and cake of course)...even if that means she eats the same thing every day. She's 3 now, and she's finally gaining weight and being less selective with food. Its so difficult, especially since the doctor completely scared the crap out of me at her 2 year old checkup. Good luck!
    LondonAsMommy

Answer by LondonAsMommy at 7:08 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I'm afraid to suggest much if the child is having food allergies, but I can assure you that my son hasnt been growing either and his doctor said it's nothing to worry about and that he will have a growth spurt to make up for it. But if she's not eating and you're worried about her weight or what-not you might want to put cereal in her bottle with her formula or whatever she drinks. That way they will get their tummy full and some nutrition out of it.
    BeckNAiden

Answer by BeckNAiden at 8:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• He grew in length which is good. My sisters baby was born 10 lbs 1 oz and she is now 8 months old and just hit 17 pounds and is so petite. I think as long as he is developing normally then you are fine. Good luck.
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 10:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Their weight gain does slow down a good bit as they get more and more active. If your mommy guy really rings an alarm bell, have him tested for bacterial infections. Sometimes bad bacteria and yeast can live in the gut and cause the body to absorb less nutrients than usual (especially if the gut is already weakened by allergies).
    faeriemamma

Answer by faeriemamma at 10:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• give him drinks like ensure that they give old people with poor diets....im suprised your pediatrician hasnt already told you this...they are nutritionally balanced but have a lot of calories to help him gain weight...they help him get all his vitamins too...i would stick to one or two drinks a day though cause you still want him to eat all the real food he will...be he should like the shakes they come in flavors like chocolate vanilla and strawberry
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 10:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• get the Dr to do an allergy patch test or get a Dr who will! You cant force a child to eat. But toddlers can survive on 6 cherrio's and a sip of juice a day. It's a freak of nature type of thing
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• What kind of food allergies?
    and when did the weight gain stop?

My daughter had G.E.R.D. a form of really bad acid reflux and had sugar allergies. For a very long time she had projectile vomit and seemed like she couldnt keep anything down, until the doctor put her on Zantac (medication) and switched her to Enfamil ProSobee (soy formula that used corn syrup solids) and had to just try to add one baby food and at time. After she turned a year the doctor switch her to Enfamil's Next Step ProSobee. Next Step is formula for babys 9 to 24 months. She finally grew out of her food allergies and is a happy 2 1/2 year old.

I dont know if this helped but feel free to message me if ya want.
    Good luck & God Bless!
    MsPeaches2210

Answer by MsPeaches2210 at 11:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• My DS has a milk allergy. He doesn't flare up unless he has a significant amount of milk in it. He is VERY active though & I thought he ate just fine!
    schmoo_mommy

Answer by schmoo_mommy at 9:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2008