When do I start feeding my 8 month old Stage 3 Food?

I tried feeding my 8 month old son Stage 3 baby food, but he gagged on it a few times, and threw some of it up. He has no teeth yet. When did you all start feeding your child Stage 3 food?

NewMomDee01

Asked by NewMomDee01 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have 8 month old twins. They also gagged and threw up. i think the tiny pieces made them gag. They both have a bunch of teeth. I was told by my doctor to way until they are a year old.
    Dartlove

Answer by Dartlove at 12:42 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I started with 3rd foods between 10-11 months.
    braymama

Answer by braymama at 1:47 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Don't push the issue. Just keep going with stage 2 and try stage 3 again in a month or so. You'll know that your child is ready when they can eat it well without gagging or throwing up. Each child is different.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 2:00 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I think all kids are different... try it and see how he reacts.. yes.. he may be a little immature for stage 3.. but if he can handle it.. go for it. If not.. wait a little and try again... mine did well.. and by a year.. they were on light table foods.. and gradually went on from there.... good luck!
    Colunga65

Answer by Colunga65 at 5:40 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• The stage 3 food I just bought says "For Babies 9 months and older" My 9 1/2 month old is kindda unsure about the "lumpier" food. I just keep trying every once in a while.
    charity987

Answer by charity987 at 2:35 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• If you check Gerber and Beechnut's web sited they say the there are developmental milestones that the baby needs to achive before moving to the stage 3 foods and it has nothing to do with age. Gerber says "Pull self to stand, Learn to crawl, Understand cause and effect is when they are ready for 3rds. Also they need to be able to mash food with their jaw before going to 3rds because they have pieces on them.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 3:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2008