Navy lifting ban on women, thoughts?

WASHINGTON – The Pentagon has moved to lift a decades-old policy that prohibits women from serving aboard Navy submarines, part of a gradual reconsideration of women's roles in a military fighting two wars whose front lines can be anywhere.

At issue is the end of a policy that kept women from serving aboard the last type of ship off-limits to them. The thinking was that the close quarters aboard subs would make coed service difficult to manage.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates notified Congress in a letter signed Friday that the Navy intends to repeal the ban on women sailors on subs. Congress has 30 days to weigh in.

"He supports the Navy's efforts to change their policy," Pentagon press secretary Geoff Morrell said Tuesday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_women_submarines

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:15 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Wether I like it or not, the female body isn't made like a man's. I feel women should not be on the front line and I don't see how this moves women forward at all.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 10:19 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• there are male/female integrated ships. . .why not subs too. . . just because some women can't handle it doesn't mean all can't. . . If a woman can handle child birth. . . Just my thoughts. My Hubby was Navy, and I had many friends Navy and all other branches, the women are just as capable as men. . .
    Anonymous

• I don't understand why any woman would join the military in the first place. BUT, if she choses to, it should be her right. And those rights should include everything the boys get...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• As a former sailor and a woman, all I could say is BAD IDEA. For one, unless they plan on keeping a sub as all female, all but some of the new Virginia class subs are going to have to be retrofitted to allow females on board (heads, berthings, etc). Do you have any idea how much money that will cost? Not to mention the fact that you're looking at putting a bunch of men with a few women on board a tin can underwater for months at a time. Can you imagine the pregnancy rate? Not to mention the fact that the rape rate will probably rise as well.

All in all, I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't be caught dead in a sub.

And Sabrina, if you're like me, you'd do it so you can get a quality education.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 10:46 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:09 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• * kittyhasclaws

How good is that education if you die?

And when you join the military you never have the guarantee that you won't... Sorry, that's not a good reason!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:32 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• It all depends on what you do in the military. Military doesn't always equal guns and shooting and killing. Most people who are in the military work desk jobs or train other military personnel. I did NJROTC for four years, and I went on a ton of bases. It was really eye opening to see what went on in the day to day life of most military folks. It's not all guns and war.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:51 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• You're statistically much more likely to die in a car than you are serving in the military as a woman, but I'll bet that doesn't stop you from getting into a car. I was active duty for over ten years and never got so much as a scratch. I did, however, travel all over the world, learn to speak 5 languages, got my education paid for at the Air Force Academy, and met the man who is now my husband and father of my children. Now as far as the sub goes, I don't have a problem with women serving on the subs, however, in these times of massive budget deficits, I don't know how they're going to pay for switching over those subs. A very impractical decision.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 2:10 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I don't quite have any feelings on it but I will say that our military is starting to have a lot more women now.

To Sabrina, I joined because I come from a military family and I love the lifestyle and what the military means. I wanted to be one of the ones on the front lines (for the Air Force) but they made me medical. Hell, I did better at shooting than 90% of the other men at basic in our brother flight.
    pageantgirl3

Answer by pageantgirl3 at 2:15 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• "If women can handle child birth...." A submarine is not the same thing as child birth and don't understand the likening of one to the other, I bet men could handle child birth too if that's how human's repopulated. Having said that I have no idea, I don't think I particularly care... I'd never serve on a submarine personally but I'm sure a woman that had a dream to do so would not have a problem. I guess we'll see.
    lady_kira

Answer by lady_kira at 2:29 AM on Feb. 24, 2010