How can you tell if you baby has a clogged tear duct?

My son woke up in the middle of the night and his eye was really gooey. It has been fine all day and I haven't noticed any other problems.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• MY 11 MONTH OLD DAUGHTER HAS HER DUCKS CLOSED SHE WOULD HAVE TEARY EYES IT WOULD B REALLY BAD IT WAS AS IF SHE BEEN CRYING ALOT AND TEARS WOULD RUN DOWN HER FACE..AND IN THE MORNINGS OR EVERYTIME SHE WOKE UP FROM NAPS SHE WOULD HAVE GREEN BUGERS AROUNG HER EYES TOOK HER TO AN EYE SPECIALIST AND DECIDED TO GO WITH A SURGERY WHERE THEY WENT IN AND AIRED UP BALLONS INSIDE HER EYE DUCKS SO THEY WOULD ENLARGE...ITS BEEN ABOUT 4 WEEKS AND ONLY ONE OF HER EYES IS STILL CLOGGED SO WE MIGHT HAVE TO DO A SURGERY WHERE THEY PUT IN SOMETHING IN HER EYE DUCK AND LEAVE IT FOR 3 MONTHS AND THEN TAKE IT OUT ....BUT IM WAITING TO SEE IF WE SEE ANY IMPROVEMENT BEFORE WE GO THROUGH WITH ANOTHER SURGERY
    delialayla

Answer by delialayla at 1:51 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• How old is he? What you are describing does sound like it could be a clogged duct, but it could be other things too. I would take him in to see his ped.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:44 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• My daughter would wake up with this yellow gunk in her eye. Then it started drying and her eye would be closed shut due to it. If you press in the corner of the eye against the nose (not the eye) and gunk comes out, then it is clogged. I had to do that like 4 times a day and it popped it I guess after about two weeks and it cleared up. I would still take your little one into the ped. It can be pretty serious. PM me if you have more questions.
    pageantgirl3

Answer by pageantgirl3 at 10:52 PM on Feb. 23, 2010