How to curb late day hunger?

I'm trying to change my eating habits (again) in order to lose my last 15 lbs, and become healthier. One thing I've noticed this time around is that I do well all day long (eat a good breakfast of oatmeal or cream of wheat, fruit, etc; a nice lunch of salad, lean meat, etc; a light snack), but when it gets to be about 4:30 or 5:00 p.m. I start to nibble on everything. I mindlessly grab a few pretzels and suddenly it turns into several handfuls, or I munch while preparing dinner. Any tips on how to curb this? I feel as though I'm undoing any good I've done earlier in the day. I'm trying to increase my water intake even a little more, but I'm not sure what else to do. Any suggestions? It's kind of frustrating. I seem to crave salty snacks that time of day.

anime_mom619

Asked by anime_mom619 at 10:40 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• If you are having salt cravings you might be on the edge of dehydration or have low electrolytes.

Get coconut water-- not the milk in a can-- the water is sold in a box. Most grocery stores have it in the natural foods section. I mix mine 50/50 with plain water. It is more hydrating than Gatorade or sports drinks. It is full of potassium and minerals. It's what we drink for the flu or stomach bugs instead of pedialyte or other sugary crap.

Chugging a glass of cold water will really help curb most cravings.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:54 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I'm not going to be much help on this but I tried a lot of things and taking snack defense and total control from Herbalife helped me with my cravings.
    pageantgirl3

Answer by pageantgirl3 at 10:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• You should eat when you're hungry. I eat all day-from 10am until I go to bed at around midnight-and I have been steadily losing weight. It's not WHEN you eat, it's HOW MUCH YOU EAT. Focus on your calories. Figure out how many calories you need to lose weight, and go from there. You will only sabatoge your weight loss efforts by denying yourself when your body is craving fuel. A few handfuls of pretzels doesn't seem like a big deal. Get a food scale, and measure out your portions. An ounce of your run-of-the-mill pretzels are only about 110 calories. Not a bad snack, if you ask me.

Here are some good websites to help you along the way.

The food scale I use:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007GAWRS/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00009K3SD&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=041E7ESMKENFP40YJY4H

Calorie counts of various foods: calorieking.com

Anonymous

• Thank you ladies. : ) My biggest problem is that those few handfuls of pretzels can quickly turn into a much larger snack, and I don't know why. I also kind of eat throughout the day, but for some reason I just want to eat a lot more at that time of day. If I could keep it to a few pretzels or whatnot, I'd be fine. Unfortunately, it seems to lead to further snacking right through until dinner. I do need a good food scale. My old one got lost when we moved a few years ago.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:20 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Drink lots of fluids. Cranberry juice, Water, OJ......satisfying your handful of pretzels with and 8 oz glass of water will taper off the desire to continue to eat more. According to dr. Oz the best thing you can do to stave off the munchies is to grab for a handful of nuts i.e.- peanuts, hazelnuts etc. Also prepare your own snacks that are healthy. If you like cruncy things go for carrots, pieces of apple, nuts etc. If you like sweet things go for peaches, strawberries, grapes, raisins. Grabbin handful's of those instead of the pretzels and other junky type food will be so much healthier and good for your body.
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 11:27 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Have some steamed veggies in the fridge. Late night when you get a craving, eat some veggies! Fruits are a great snack, but not late at night, because of sugar content. I drink tons of water and sometimes, it just won't kill the cravings. I understand that, so I always have some veggies on hand to snack on.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:24 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Sounds like you've already got some great tips. Try adjusting how you eat and if you really want those pretzels, limit yourself to say 10 a day. Get your 10 and put the bag away, if you leave the bag out and take from there you will just keep going.

Start & end each day and each meal with a glass of water. If you are not a water drinker, then start with a 4oz glass & work up to 8oz glass. You can add lemon, lime or orange slice for flavor.

Eat 5 times a day
    Breakfast
    AM Snack - (fruit, veggies, yogurt)
    Lunch
    PM Snack
    DInner

You could also try a "salty/sweet" trailmix - pretzels, raisins, peanuts or any assortment of nuts/dried fruit.

Message me if you want more tips or info.
    www.beachbodycoach.com/team
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 7:59 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Oh thank you all so much! I will try these tips. The coconut water suggestion is very interesting. I'll have to check that out. I'm on bp meds, so sometimes potassium is a worry anyway (the meds can sometimes deplete potassium), and that might be helpful in that aspect as well. The suggestions are all so helful, I'm going to have trouble picking best answer. : )

Anonymous

• Oops, how did I click on anon for that last answer... oh well!

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:44 PM on Feb. 24, 2010