How can i get my 4 yr. old to sleep in her own bed without wakeing up in the middle of the night! And without haveing her crying and throwing a fit?

How can i get my 4 yr. old little to go to sleep in her bed by herself and stay in her bed all night without the crying and the throwing the fits!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Why is you FOUR year old still sleeping in bed with YOU?
    Anonymous

• thank you anon, i was gonna ask the same question...
    Anonymous

• She dosent sleep with me. She just gets up in the middle of the nite and i go to her bedroom and seat on the side of her bed til she gos back to sleep!
    Anonymous

• Well if that were my child i would put down my foot and tell her that she will sleep in her own bed. You are the mother...dont let her sucker you into letting her sleep with you. If shes scared thats another thing, leave a light on close to her room,get her a couple night lights in her room. But as for her throwing fits because she doesnt want to sleep in her bed , swat her bottom and let her know who is boss.
    Anonymous

• Wow all those responces were kinda mean. I have the same problem. I just try talking to my son about it and take little steps. One night he might stay in for 4 hours, the next 5 its just a matter of being consistant But im not about to swat my sons but becuase hes scared? Wow
    ILoveMuffins62

Answer by ILoveMuffins62 at 12:09 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• My son is three. When we moved he went through a transitional phase where he was scared of his new room and being alone in a strange place. It took us a long time to get him to stop climbing into bed with us at night. Now, he still likes me to rock him for a little while before he lays in his own bed and I have a rocking chair that I sit in when he needs me. Children don't need to be swatted and "told who's boss", they need to be comforted, loved, and told that it's okay to be afraid. Maybe she wakes up because she needs to use the bathroom or has a bad dream. Comfort her, tell her that it's okay, sit quietly to calm her down, and then go back to your own bed. I am six months pregnant and am extremely tired by night. However, if my son wakes up crying then I'm going to see to his needs, just like I would during the day. As any good mother should do.
    JLF2

Answer by JLF2 at 12:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2010