pet urine

well we just moved into this house and I guess the people who lived here before us had pets and the whole house smells like cat and dog pee I have tried cleaning it real good but doesnt work anyother floor cleaning tricks carpet and tile

lovekids9100

Asked by lovekids9100 at 10:45 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Home & Garden

• replacing your carpet will get rid of the smell. I don't know of anything out there that we've tried that will get it out. you wash the carpet and it smells like wet dog....
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 10:54 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• You will probably have to paint and get new padding/carpet or flooring.For a quick fix try steam cleaning the carpets and opening every window for a while..

Anonymous

• Try steam cleaning the carpets, after wards soak the carpet areas that smell with 'OdorBon" and let it dry naturally ... I have 4 cats and you have accidents and that stuff is wonderful ... It doesn't harm fabrics either...
    If that doesn't work you may consider removing all of the carpet and padding (if you own the house, if not the landlord should do it)

Good Luck
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:02 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• The urine has probably soaked through the carpet & pad to the floor underneath, so you are going to need something that will get through all of those layers. Try "Nature's Miracle" (buy it in a pet store) to get the smell out. It is an enzyme cleaner that will "eat" the urine, but you'll need to soak the carpets well and leave them to soak for a bit (directions on the bottle), then scrub it & suck it all up with a carpet cleaning machine. Then I would steam the carpets just to be sure they are now sanitary. I have two dogs and when they were being house trained, I kept a gallon of this stuff in the house at all times, and really I still do, because it is safe for pretty much all surfaces & fabrics and will eat through any organic stain (blood, urine, feces, oil, etc.).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Feb. 25, 2010