son is 4 still has accidents

My 4 year son is fully potty trained, except he has accidents at night. I've tried the night pull ups but as soon as he knew he had them on he would go ahead and spoil them. And for awhile he didn't have them on and would not have an accident. But now he has accidents every night. I cut his drinking till 2 hrs before bedtime, and he uses the bathroom 2 times before he goes to bed, and I also wake him up in the middle of the night to go potty. I don't know what to do or don't know if I'm doing something wrong. Please help!

yungmom426

Asked by yungmom426 at 11:04 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This happens to alot of children that age. My son has the same issue. He doesn't drink liquids after 7. We get him to go to the bathroom a few times before he goes to bed and then again before we go to bed. All that and he still has accidents at least 4-5 times a week. This is a normal problem for children their age and it is not their fault. It is just that they have smaller bladders and cannot sense when they have to use the bathroom while asleep. As their bladders get bigger they can hold their potty time longer. Doctors say to involve the child in changing the wet sheets, and continue to discontinue use of liquids 2 hours prior to bedtime and having them go to the bathroom before bed time. They will grow out of it, but talk to your pediatritian and they can give you more advice. Lets hope it passes soon...i'm doing a load of laundry a day LOL!
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 11:14 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• That happens to little boys a lot. It was like that with my son. My grandson was still wearing a Pull-up at night in first grade. Just be patient and don't get angry. His bladder sphincter muscles have to be strong enough to hold the urine in all night long. It is a maturity issue.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Bedwetting is normal, especially in boys. You just kind of get through it. My son wet the bed every night until he was 6 1/2 (he wore pull-ups at night to save his bed and me from doing laundry every single day). He's 8 now and has the occasional accident still.
    My middle daughter is also a bedwetter (2 of them right in a row...oy). She's 7 and still wears pull-ups and wets the bed most nights.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:18 AM on Feb. 24, 2010