Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone applied for Cash assistance while waiting on child support?

I am not sure what else to do. Worse case scenario is that I think I should apply for cash assistance because the child support case is taking so long to go through. My childs dad is waiting on unemployment and another job to go through so in the meantime I live in a very bad unemployment area (one of the worst in the country right now) and cannot afford daycare at this moment. I really do not want to go through this and I am not sure what the restrictions are, but I feel pretty stuck right now with no help and I live with my parents who threaten to kick me out if I do not pay rent.
Does anyone know what I might be able to recieve? I know that once child suport goes through they will take that, so I am hoping this could just help me out for a couple months. Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (6)
  • Are you living in Ohio ?? I dont think that its a bad idea at all....go for it. Im sure they will give it to you! Good luck.. i know things are tough right now for everyone and thank god for government help

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

  • I did, if its something you reall need then I say go for it... it never hurts to get help o get back on your feet

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

  • being on PA will speed things up but once child support in in place quit the PA because the government will keep the child support from you and just add it to the PA.
    I was on PA with 3 girls getting $532, when my child support kicked in they kept the money instead and added it to the welfare payment, and at the same time my 5 yr time limit was ticking know that you can only receive cash asst. for a total of 5 yrs? so go ahead and take the cash asst. also by taking the cash asst. the state can help put a deposit down on an apt.


    Answer by Anonymous at 3:13 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

  • I did! My kids dad is a dead beat, I had no choice to apply while going to school.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

  • You can. Do it if you need to. But as soon as the child support starts coming drop the TANF. He will also have to pay back any TANF you get on top of the support you get. If you choose to receive the support & drop the TANF, they cant take any of your child support towards the TANF you got...he has to pay that back seperate. I got it for a year before my son's dad started paying.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

  • It depends on where you live every state couty ect has different restrictions! But jobs are hard too find right now! It sounds like a good idea to me! Good Luck!

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.