Still have blind faith in UHC?

An unapologetic Danny Williams says he was aware his trip to the United States for heart surgery earlier this month would spark outcry, but he concluded his personal health trumped any public fallout over the controversial decision.

snip: "This was my heart, my choice and my health," Williams said late Monday from his condominium in Sarasota, Fla.

"I did not sign away my right to get the best possible health care for myself when I entered politics."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• snip:

"I would've been criticized if I had stayed in Canada and had been perceived as jumping a line or a wait list. ... I accept that. That's public life," he said.

"(But) this is not a unique phenomenon to me. This is something that happens with lots of families throughout this country, so I make no apologies for that."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5h0QC7bditrEb3wYz_6_b-gsGGDxA

Anonymous

• No. Who does?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Having blind faith in anything is ridiculous. (At least in my opinion.) However, I've read the entire article. No offense, but he chose a specialist inside the US. The argument that people come here because we have the best health care is still not supported by this article. Instead, it further supports that people will go where the specialist they want to see is. People leave the US for procedures as well, not only for financial reasons but if the specialist they want to see is in India, then they'll go to India.

Not only that, but he lives in a small province where that kind of specialist is lacking. People within the US travel to other states and countries all the time if the care they need isn't available where they are. I lived in Wyoming and had to leave the state regularly to get the care I needed. It's simply a part of life, and in no way shows that universal health care doesn't work.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 12:49 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• The healthcare bill up for vote now isn't UHC but im still not for it and it speaks volumes when the politicians refuse to use it for themselves and their famlies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• mommylisa--The US may not have the best healthcare SYSTEM, but we certainly do have the best SPECIALISTS per capita!!!

Besides, have proponents of ObamaCare thought things through? They keep saying that European countries have it, The UK has it, and Canada has it....but time and time again it has been brought up that all of these European/British countries are equivalent in POPULATION to one of our mid-sized STATES! And here in the US, Massachusetts, Tennessee, and California have tried to institute a government run healthcare program, and FAILED!!!

If "UHC" was so damn wonderful, why hasn't the ENTIRE European Union done it? Why are only a few "states" doing it?! Hmmm????

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:59 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I lived in Wyoming and had to leave the state regularly to get the care I needed.

You had to leave Wyoming?? What does that prove?? Most small cities have more people than Wyoming.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:55 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• lol true I have to leave my area not the state but my very rural area I sometimes do in order to get the care needed for my kids and myself.That would not change with Obamas brand of HC reform either in fact it could do more damage for folks living in rural areas like myself.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:06 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I think if the senators and congress vote on something that might possibly effect the health and well being of the American individuals, that they should try it out for themselves and their family for 6mo-1yr before voting on it. We will see how that goes down.

And yes, I thought it was funny, sad and ironic how a Premier of Canada came to the US for a heart procedure because he didn't "sign" away his rights to the best possible health care when he entered politics. What a role model.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 9:31 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• You had to leave Wyoming?? What does that prove?? Most small cities have more people than Wyoming.

That was the same reason the man in the original article left - he lived in a low population province and couldn't get the care he needed. If you don't understand the point, read the entire article. If you still don't get it... well... think a little harder.

I am for UHC, not for Obama's health care proposals so far. I'm a strong supporter of how things are run in Norway. I think if we were to implement a similar system here it would not only work, but work well and help with our national debt. But people treat socialism (even if it's not entirely socialist) like it's the black plague.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 10:42 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• That was the same reason the man in the original article left - he lived in a low population province and couldn't get the care he needed.

He left the entire COUNTRY, not went to a neighboring state or city.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:51 AM on Feb. 24, 2010