Please kick my butt and tell me to get on the plane!!!

My family is DYING to see my 20 month old daughter, and I've been putting off the cross-country trip since she was an infant. They are all getting old and I'm afraid if I wait any longer, it'll be too late. My mom passed away 5 years ago, and so my aunts and uncles have become very important to me. They all live in CA and I live in NY. There's so many relatives in CA (upwards of 80 people), that it makes more sense for me to go there instead of them coming here.

My fears? That my daughter (who is going thru the terrible two's) will freak out on the plane, embarrass the HELL out of me on the plane and even get us kicked off of it. I'm also afraid that our pristine daily routine will get screwed up by the 3-hour time difference, and when we get back home, it will take weeks to get us back off track.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me I need to stop being a 'fraidy cat and that I need to make the plane reservations!! TY

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• cont

We're military - we've rarely been able to live anywhere remotely near our families. The memories my kids have of their grandparents and their extended family members are ones that they will cherish forever. My dh and I will also cherish them forever, because we know our loved ones won't always be there.

Consider this - do you want to travel with her now to go see them, or do you want to wait, say another yr or so (if even that long), and go home for a funeral? My kids are teenagers, and they still remember being 3 and 4 and "having ice cream with the little old ladies" (the pictures have helped keep the memories alive) - my dh's great aunts who were tiny ladies who served them ice cream at a "fancy tea party". They remember my grandma and my dh's grandma. All of these women are gone now. I wouldn't trade those moments for anything, and would give anything to have the chance to see them again.

go visit :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:35 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• First of all, they will not kick you off a plane if your child is having a meltdown. I was on a flight from Chicago to Phoenix and a kid cried THE WHOLE WAY. Yes it was annoying but everyone dealt with it just fine. Actually, most kids sleep on the plane due to the "white noise" sound. Just bring lots of activities for her to do and see if you can't find a airline that has tvs you can watch...that way she could watch a show or movie, or see if you can get on one of those bigger planes that aren't so compact and cramped...that might help as well. Just weigh the pros and cons...I think it would be worth the 3 hours of her POSSIBLY throwing a fit, to let your family see her, than a lifetime of regret for not doing it, and God forbid you lose your relatives.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I had some of the same fears you did only my daughter was three, it was my VERY first time on a plane as well as hers, and I was doing an international flight! Oh my goodness, I was TERRIFIED! I was doing this all on my own too. We survived it but oh man, it was kind of scary. Your little one may fall asleep for most of the flight. My daughter did. She was SO excited watching the plan taxi down the runway and going up. Then, when I looked back at her, she was asleep! I couldn't believe it! And she slept most of the flight too. Now, this was the flight from Chicago to San Francisco but she slept most of that time and wasn't a problem. The international flight though, she was a little more difficult but it was also a longer flight. Still, I didn't get kicked off and we did manage to make it through. Don't worry! You'll probably be just fine!
    Simply_Janeen

Answer by Simply_Janeen at 12:42 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• They won't kick you off the plane.

And your routine is doomed anyway, you know. SOMETHING will disrupt it. At least this is a GOOD something. So get your butt on the plane.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:56 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Honestly, I've traveled tons of times with my kids - at all ages - and it's not that bad :-) They aren't going to kick you off because your toddler is having a fit. It might embarrass you, but honestly, in the grand scheme of things - do you know these people? Are you ever going to see them again? Is their opinion of you (the mom of the crying kid) more important to you than the feelings of your family, and the memories you will have of them with your little one? (Besides, most of the people on the plane are probably going to be sympathetic towards you anyway.)

As far as her schedule - LOTS of things will disrupt a child's schedule, and it's not that hard to get her back on one, and isn't even, as you said, a couple of weeks of disrupted schedule worth the lifetime of memories?

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:29 AM on Feb. 24, 2010