Leaving trails of food .....HELP!

My 16 month old drops, throws, and leaves trail of food everywhere. I will give him a snack & he will drop it for a toy or his cup. He does not throw food from his highshair anymore. But he will do it when I give him a bowl or handful of snacks. . HE will not pick it up or help me pick it up either; just completely ignores me. HE does EAT the food off the floor. LOL Im sick of picking up chunks of food everwhere. Help me with a good tactic to follow.

Amberoz

Asked by Amberoz at 11:43 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Make him eat at the kitchen table only. No roaming with food. Not sitting at the kitchen table = no food.
    Anonymous

• No snacks, no meals if he's not in his high chair. End of story. My daughter has the same problem and she's not allowed to eat anywhere but her high chair or at the table.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 11:52 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• My son is almost 20 months... I tell him he needs to pick it up and put it in his bowl. Take him to the item, and point to it and tell him to pick it up please and when he does it I tell him how he is such a good boy and Thank you is a must! He has been keeping his food picked up since I started that! Good luck!
    Amanda704

Answer by Amanda704 at 12:13 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• My son is 15 months and he eats only in his highchair for just that reason. I don't even let my older kids (8, 10, and 12) eat anywhere but the kitchen.

Answer by missanc at 9:33 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I agree with the others. Only allow food when sitting. Keep him in the highchair or get a booster seat with a strap so you can force him to stay seated until he gets the idea. Since you mention he knows not to throw food from his high chair, that would seem to totally solve your problem.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:07 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• My LO is 19 mos and eats in her highchair or her booster seat when we have company with a LO who gets the highchair instead. She is only allowed cheerios outside of that in her play yard (it keeps them contained and easy to vacuum), otherwise she has snacks sitting on the kitchen floor or in her highchair. If he leaves food anywhere he must pick it up! It is something that we are working on when we drop food off the highchair on purpose. She knows she has to clean it up.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Thanx Ladies!
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 1:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I agree with all of the above. I don't allow snacks or drinks to leave the kitchen or dining area. If they aren't in their highchairs or booster seats they have one small area in front of the kitchen island where they can sit to eat and drink. Their cups never leave that area, so we also don't have "lost" cups around the house.
    Anonymous