Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth Certificate question

How does it work if the father is not there to sign the papers? There is a chance of my husband being gone with the military when our baby is due, so i'm just curious how they will have us do the birth certificate without him there?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

Answers (3)
  • im not sure. i would call L&D at your hospital. im sure this is something they run into often.

    im pretty sure that if you are married, you just write his name in. bc only one of you actually signs the birth certificate. it would be different if you werent married and he had to sign paternity papers. good luck and i hope he gets to be there!

    Answer by erika_wright at 12:08 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

  • If you are married there is no issue. He doesnt have to sign anything. You sign & just put his name as the father. The only time you can not just do that is if you are not legally married. Then he has to sign a notarized affidavit declaring he is the father, then you can legally put him down as the father on the certificate. The only person who signs the birth certificate is the person who fills it out...that usually being the mother anyhow.

    Answer by lisa89j at 12:09 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

  • from my understanding depenting on the state if you are married after 30days they put ur husband on the birthcrt, but i guess it would depent on the state plus if he is deployeed you should have the POA anyways

    Answer by miss_nevin at 2:05 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.