Puppies that are good with 3-4 yr olds?

So, I have been doing some research bc I want to get dd a puppy for her 4th birthday. I am really interested in a welsh corgi. They are cute, they don't get very big, they are playful and good with other dogs and sturdy enough to play with a 4 yr old. So my question is does anyone have one of these dogs or know of a breed that is good with kids? I am looking for a small breed. I already have a pug (she's awesome! but getting older and no fun for dd to play with, lol). I don't like yappers, lol.

StephG718

Asked by StephG718 at 11:50 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I grew up with beagles and they were always great with me and my nephew.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:53 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I have a great dane. He is awesome with kids, even my baby crawls all over him. I also have a maltese, I have found small dogs bite. I know it;s their size and there scared. I know you don't want big I am a big dog fan. :)
    Anonymous

• Beagles are wonderful. They love everyone and ours was so sweet with my daughter when she was a baby. But they have so much energy and need to run around in a yard that is fenced to expend their energy. Thye will jump on you and lick you alot too. But they are sweet.
    Anonymous

• Corgis in general are great family pets. Any puppy is just a baby too and may nip. You'll probably benefit from doing training together as a family with the baby humans and the baby animals both learning the the grown up.

Corgis are pretty low maintenance with the grooming. Keep an eye on the chubbiness. It's hard to tell under the fur. And your little one might want to share her snacks with the dog!

Beagles are great with kids. Beagles are used at some dental schools for practice cleaning teeth because they are so docile. I personally have XL dogs right now. My lab/dane mix is awesome with infants and toddlers.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:01 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• We used to have a German Shorthair pointer who was awesome with our kids. We now have a yellow Lab who's the same age as our 3rd child (almost 5) and she is just great with them too - we've never had a problem or a reason to worry about anything with her & our kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• retriever, labs, bordercolley,winnie dogs
    Texan1993

Answer by Texan1993 at 1:51 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Labs (i prefer yellow) are not small dogs as you are looking for but it is all my family has owned and I have had dogs in the house since I was an infant, we now have a yellow lab named Gander and he lives inside most of the time and is my three year old's best friend. She plays fetch with him, naps with him, he sits with her when she is not feeling well or is sad, she has attempted to ride him before and he just sat there, he does get protective of her if someone is trying to get her (or pretending to so we make sure he knows the difference every time) he lets her play with his ears and tail while he eats and sleeps, and much more I 100% say get a yellow lab
    NessGuinness

Answer by NessGuinness at 12:32 AM on Feb. 25, 2010