car seat question

My son turns 4 in June. He is out growing his car seat. I was looking at this one...I have no idea when he should change car seats. Any advise?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/The-First-Years-Compass-Ultra-Folding-Adjustable-Booster-Camouflage/10463750

ILoveMuffins62

Asked by ILoveMuffins62 at 12:05 AM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• you know if he's 30lbs or more he can be in a booster seat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Yeah my son weighs over 40 pounds now. Does he need the 5 point harnest? Or the shoulder strap? I dont think hes old enough for the backless yet.
    ILoveMuffins62

Answer by ILoveMuffins62 at 12:19 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• He doesn't have to have a 5 point harness anymore. My son will also be 4 in June and I bought him this carseat.. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Evenflo-AMP-No-Back-Booster-Seat-Red/10745663 and he does great with it. It is meant for kids 40-100 lbs.
    alaskansglmom

Answer by alaskansglmom at 1:33 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• My stepson is 4 and he is still in a 5 point harness. I have been in an accident before and I remember how strong the forces of speed pulled on me and I am scared to put someone who weighs 3 times less than I do in the similar level of restraint that felt like it barely held me. A lot of states are changing their laws. Virginia just made a new law where kids under 80 pounds have to be in some kind of a booster seat. Is there a weight limit sticker on his current carseat?
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 2:54 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• While at 4 years and 40 pounds he doesn't have to be in a 5 point harness anymore, he SHOULD be. Don't treat your child like a minimum. A seat such as the Graco Nautilus will keep him harnessed up to 65 pounds until he is truly ready for a booster seat.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 3:18 PM on Feb. 24, 2010