How do you know when your dog have fever?

My small dog (shit-zu) is acting strangely and sneezing a lot!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Pets

• I've heard their nose is usually warm. It is supposed to be cold when they're healthy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• stick a thermometer in his butt, just don't use it on humans after that, and sanatize it!!!
    Anonymous

• rectal temp + google to find the normal body temp for the dog breed.

or a vet
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Dogs run about 102 F. That's normal for them. You can take a rectal temp- use Vaseline to lubricate the thermometer. To keep the dog still, put some peanut butter on your other hand and hold it over the muzzle to distract. a temp over 105 F means it is time to call the vet.

Shih tzus sneeze constantly. They have squashed noses. It's a breed thing. Could she have sniffed into something like a household chemical?
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:17 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• When there is something wrong the dog’s attitude changes. He is no longer amused by your talking to him and he becomes indifferent to his meals. A dog has a body temperature between a 100 deg F and 102 deg F .If you touch the dogs nose, the back of his ears or his fur it will appear warm. But the best and most accurate method to see the dogs fever is to use a thermometer rectally. If the fever is accompanied with changes in the dog’s attitude and you notice more Dog Fever Symptoms like scratching, itching, painful movement or even bloody stools, diarrhea or vomiting it is time to take action.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Thanks for your answers guys! Ecodani I do not think she has sniffed any household chemical (I did not clean today lol) but I did noticed that her sneezing got worse after going outside. I think I better go checked if something is outside (brr is like 20 degrees outside)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• The only way to tell for sure if your dog has a fever is to use a thermometer. Ears, Nose, ect isn't accurate. Also I would take your dog to the vet if the temp is over 103 or 103.5. If you wait until the dogs temp is 105 then your pup will really be sick. Just make sure your dog isn't hyper or excited when taking the temp cause this can cause a higher temp.
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 1:37 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Sometimes, if the fever is really high you can tell by touching them but that is hard to gauge because a dogs normal temp is between 100 and 102 . The only way to know for sure is to stick a thermometer in the dogs rear end.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:34 AM on Feb. 24, 2010