New Rules of Engagement. What do you think?

U.S. troops involved in President Barack Obama’s much-heralded military surge in Afghanistan are complaining about the new rules of engagement to which they must adhere. The new guidelines state that U.S. troops should use deadly physical force in self defense only, which is similar to the resistance/force continuum utilized within U.S. law enforcement.
The Obama Pentagon has promulgated strict rules that force soldiers and Marines to hold their fire until they are certain the individuals they face are armed.

There is a tradeoff," said Col. Gian Gentile, a former battalion commander in Iraq who has publicly criticized counterinsurgency doctrine. "You reduce civilian casualties, but you potentially increase your own casualties."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• So don't fire until you're fired at.......but your dead first...then what?...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Ridiculous it's war and if this is how our troops have to fight it prepare to never win any ever,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I don't like it. It's not like our military was going around just randomly mowing people down before. When they started shooting they had good reason to believe that it was an enemy combatant / threat to them that they were shooting at. This is not going to prevent things like faulty intel or a missile that was aimed badly from hitting the wrong target. As horrible as that is - and it IS horrible- it's one of the unavoidable and detestable parts of war.

All this is going to do is cause more of our military to die, while acting as a political / public opinion action to say "look, see, we're the ones in the ones in the white hats..." I don't believe it's going to affect one way or the other what the average citizen of Afghanistan thinks of us. Either they are pro US, or they are anti US. If they're pro, then this isn't going to make them more pro. If they're anti, then this is just going to be a weakness to exploit.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:44 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Dumb very dumb all I can see from this is more death of our troops then before.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Yeah well, what Obama doesn't know. Those men are not going to risk being shot if they can shoot first. This is ridiculous and until Obama knows what it is like to go to war... I think he should shut up and let the men and women of our armed forces do their job. It is war... people die, innocent people die... I would rather it be them than my husband. Call me cold... but waiting till you get shot at isn't effective and I like seeing my husband. My husband will not hesitate and 99% of the other soldiers feel the same way.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 12:51 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Obama has no clue. You can't fight a politically correct war and ever win.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:44 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• eye rollingDitto Carpy..I am going to pray even more for our soldiers.

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:58 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• This is the same process they used with the pirate hostage situation. Obama had the same rules for those that were trying to rescue the captain. He is a weak leader and a weak strategist, and no amount of pretty pillow talking to his supporters will change that.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• GAH! Now that this policy has been published in the national news, everyone in the world has access to that information. Great, now they know to hide their weapons until they get close enough for a massacre our troops. 

What's next, instituting a rule that we check the enemy for military ID before we shoot?

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:16 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Crap. What idiots. Sorry, that's all I can say without my answer getting deleted.

1 tatertyke
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:54 AM on Feb. 24, 2010