How early can u go n2 labor & deliver your baby & it can survive? Cuz my cousin had her baby @ 22wks! Wats the earliest n wks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• no earlier than 5 months
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:11 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Actually, that's not true. My very close friend had her baby last April on the day she was 20 weeks pregnant and her baby is now a happy, mostly healthy 10 month old. She had to be in the NICU for 2 1/2 months, but she's home now and doing really well. I will be praying for your cousins baby.
    DevinAnnesmom

Answer by DevinAnnesmom at 1:18 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Week 23

Gestational age: 22 weeks old.

Embryonic age: Week nr 21. 20 weeks old.

* The fetus reaches a length of 28 cm (11.2 inches).
    * The fetus weighs about 725 g (1 lb 10 oz).
    * Eyebrows and eyelashes are well formed.
    * All of the eye components are developed.
    * The fetus has a hand and startle reflex.
    * Footprints and fingerprints continue forming.
    * Alveoli (air sacs) are forming in lungs.
    nevena73

Answer by nevena73 at 4:14 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• The earliest I have heard of was 20 weeks. A lot of it depends on how the baby is developing & growing (one of the largest factors is lung development). Also, remember that everything in pregnancy is estimated- ESTIMATED date of conception, ESTIMATED due date; on an u/s the weight & growth are ESTIMATED. So the baby is plus or minus 2 weeks of the estimated gestational age, giving it a greater or lesser chance of survival.
    It's not medically possible to pinpoint a specific safe time period right now, because we simply do not have the technology. All we can do is ESTIMATE a safe time period. Generally, 25 weeks is considered to be a 50/50 shot.
    Much of it depends on how the baby does outside the womb- breathing, heart rate, birth weight, presence or absence of malformations, etc. There is just so much we don't know! Also, miracles DO happen :)
    Good luck to your cousin & her baby!
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 5:46 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• A girl I went to school with had her son and 20 weeks and he will be three this years.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 7:46 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• it all depends on the kid. when they are born that early... they dont have the wrinkles in their brain. there is no way to predict if they will develop normally out of the womb. it is kinda wait and see... i hope that baby is in a good nicu. she should know if she ever doubts the medical care she has the right to transfer her child as soon as she demands it. they are legally required as long as the transfer wont compromise the care.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:53 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• not sure, but a friend of ours had her baby at 4 months the baby achually servived haven't talked to them in a while, but seen them a couple months ago I was in the van seen them walking into a store so I didn't say anything, but seen there DD she looked healthy she is probably about 11 or 13 years old now
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:12 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Yes it all depends, my sister had her daughter at 23 weeks and she lived but for only 2 months, her intestines kept dieing and she had 2 surgeries on them and she just gave out she couldn't handle anymore....The doctor told my sister if she could have stayed inside even 1 more week her chances we have inproved hugly... That hopsital wouldn't even consider saving a 20 week only, they was really against saving my sisters but she insisted.. I hope all goes well for them, spend as much time with that baby as possible and take as many pics as possible... My mother and I would drive to the hospital every day which was 2 hours away and I would video tape that little one I am soo glad I did know we will always have a peice of her! gl
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 8:43 AM on Feb. 24, 2010