Sleeping with baby

I never intended to have baby in bed with us, but... I have been breastfeeding in the sideline position for a few weeks ( he is 3 weeks old) and we all sleep for 5-6 hours at a time. However I don't want this to become the routine and worry about SIDS what is the general opinion on when to move him to the co-sleeper? i'm really enjoying the sleep.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I honestly think if you sleep better and the baby sleeps longer than let him sleep with you. I have had 4 children and they have all slept in bed with me when they were babies. I have never breastfed so i don't know much about it. But later on are you going to put him on the bottle but with breast milk. Maybe when you do that , IF you do that, you can switch him to his own bed.
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 1:37 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• My pediatrician told me when my son was born to never start a habit I don't want to live with for the next 18 years. If you do not want to sleep with your child for years to come you need to get him into his own bed ASAP! Also, when you sleep with a baby there is a risk of him suffocating on your bedding, pillows or if one of you roll onto him. As for SIDS, he needs to be on his back to lower the risk. Good luck.
    lori57703

Answer by lori57703 at 1:40 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I breastfed and both of my girls slept in my bed while doing so. I stopped bringing them to bed when I stopped breastfeeding, which for me was about 7 months. I didn't have trouble with either one on the transition. I just rocked them to sleep with a bottle and layed them in their own crib. I also have put both of my girls on a pillow in their cribs. They sleep better with a little incline, just as I sleep better with my head up on a pillow. My youngest is now 14 months and she doesn't sleep well without a pillow!

Babies are just little people, they all have likes and dislikes, they have simple needs and a need to be figured out and understood. That's what a mom is for. You do whatever feels right for you and baby and it will be right.
    meBri23

Answer by meBri23 at 1:46 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• With respect to Lori...they DO sleep on their own, a LOT sooner than 18 years. Make the move whenever you're comfortable doing so. Happened at eight months here.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:53 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Actually, your baby is much less likely to die of SIDS if you are bedsharing safely or cosleeping (meaning baby is in the same room). I would look up the rules of safe bedsharing/cosleeping to make sure you're doing it safely. I've coslept and breastfed both my children and had no problems transitioning them to their own bed before a year. My daughter is still breastfeeding at 18 months and sleeps in her own room in her crib. When you want to transition them to their own bed, you just do it.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 2:46 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• If the current situation gets you sleep, and you are comfortable with it, I'd keep doing it until the baby is a bit older. Keep in mind that this is just ME, just telling you what I would do. We used a bedside cosleeper where I would put DS when he fell asleep. If he woke during the night, I'd bring him into bed and nurse him. If I were awake when he fell back asleep, I'd move him back to the cosleeper or just leave him with me. SIDS is less of a threat when safely cosleeping. He's 2 1/2 now, and sleeps in a crib, in his room, and very rarely wakes at night. If he does, I do bring him to my bed, but it's unusual. He practically sleeps through the night.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:01 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• i agree with other posters...do what it takes to get some sleep. the risk of sids for a breastfeeding bed sharing baby are lower, so don't worry about that. the transition will happen when you are ready, like pp's said too! i had one ready to leave my bed at 6 mos, one at about 18 mos, and the twins at 15 mos. the transitions were smooth!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:04 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I agree with the PP that sids is lower and if you are getting sleep don't change that. Studies show that cosleeping is safe and babies do well. Cosleeping is normal in other parts of the world.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:30 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I am a firm believer that meeting babies needs by things like co-sleeping, does NOT form "bad habits". Baby needs to be close to mom, mom needs baby close so that she can breastfeed during the night with as little interruption to her sleep as possible. Check out these articles: Is sleeping with my baby safe? Can it reduce the risk of SIDS?

Rethinking "Healthy" Infant Sleep

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:03 PM on Feb. 24, 2010