Can you feed your 1 year old anything?

Besides honey???(i already knew that one) but is there anything that you shouldn't give your child until they are atleast 2?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would have to say that if the child is over 1 anything is game. I would watch giving a child meat that is cut very big. I have even had problems with my 4 yo in eatting meat that I did not get cut small enough. I even have to crumble bacon. She choke on it. But if the child is over 1 you can watch doing the allergy related foods. I would only introduce a new food a week if possible. Some times food are introduced when your back is turned and if so just watch the child and see what happens. When my oldest was about 2 a friend was giving her cookie and did not think about it being peanut butter and that I may not have given it to her yet. I just watched her and she did fine. The honey is only till they are 1 after that they can have it. My 2 yo has eatten for awhile now so just watch.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 9:34 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• hot dogs
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• pop corn, hard candy should wait a while because it is a choking hazard for a long time, anything with bits in it that they might not know is in there - ie jello with little bits of fruit.
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 2:02 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Chocolate. Most (if not all) nuts. Loose hard candy (anything besides a lollipop, & even then be careful...it's a choking hazard). Also, depending on family allergies, you might want to be careful with soy & strawberries as well (or anything else that may be a large food allergy in the family, if any). When in doubt, ask the pediatrician.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 2:18 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• hot dogs unless u take the skin off! cause they choke on the skin of it and u need to watch them carefully!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:58 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• my son wouldn't make it without hotdogs!!!! he can eat 3 at a time. i just cut them in half long ways, then cut them in smaller pieces. never had a problem with choking. and honestly i thought most foods were okay after a year old. nuts are okay after a year, and so is chocolate. of course check for allergies the first time they have anything new.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Like they said, use caution with high risk choking foods... use your judgment on how well your child chews and such and always keep an eye on them when they eat. I don't think you need to avoid things like hotdogs and popcorn all together... my son can eat hot dogs cut up... we haven't tried popcorn I don't think he's ready yet.
    And you still will want to do trials with new foods, especially those that are high allergy foods... for example, at a year my son still hadn't had peanuts, kiwi, strawberry, shellfish.... so we still had to introduce those one a time and make sure he was okay with it. (I still don't think he's ever had Kiwi)
    And if any food allergies run in your family I would avoid those at least until 2 years
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:21 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Make sure all hard veggies are cooked thoroughly, especially carrots. My daughter hates broccoli and cauliflower when they're raw but she'll eat them cooked. And be careful with grapes, they should be cut up as well.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:11 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• You might also ask your doctor this question. Views vary. I was told to avoid peanut butter and shellfish until he was old enough to talk well (around 2, in theory). The concern was allergies. Ironically, the following year (his 2 yr checkup) she told me that the more recent research showed that early introduction to these foods may actually reduce allergies.. Even she wasn't quite sure what to recommend at that point. Anything that's a choking hazard should definitely wait and as others point out, this varies depending on your child's ability to chew. As a general rule, cut anything that is round in shape (i.e. grapes, carrots that are cut into "coins", hotdogs,etc). They shoudl be cut into smaller pieces.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:13 AM on Feb. 24, 2010