What do you know about the sun and magnetic fields?

Have you been paying attention to the issues of the sun lately?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• "In 2009, cosmic ray intensities have increased 19% beyond anything we've seen in the past 50 years," says Richard Mewaldt of Caltech. "The increase is significant, and it could mean we need to re-think how much radiation shielding astronauts take with them on deep-space missions."

Could collapsing on itself do this or even have high levels of radiaiton?
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 2:25 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Uh no. And even if I knew what you were referring to would it make a difference? I cant control anything the sun does so really its pointless for me to know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• OP--Got a link, so maybe we could discuss what it is that is so "alarming?!" LOL Like the previous poster said, there's nothing we can do about the sun, or what it has been doing for BILLIONS of years! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:48 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/realtime/realtime-update.html

See the long filament? If it collapses it will cause a Hyder Flare.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I suppose it's going to collapse in 2012? Is there some reason you're pointing this out as if they never happen?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:12 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• This is a very unusual occurrence. No. I don't know what is going to happen, that is why I was asking for people who followed the sun so I could discuss it with them. Why do you always assume? I was hoping to find someone more knowledgeable on this then me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Ok then - solar flares are always happening, they predict they will pick up in intensity in 2012. That doesn't actually mean anything - it might interfere a little with satellite signals, meaning it will make tv/radio static and might mess up internet from time to time. The only thing remotely "unusual" about this one you're worrying about is that it's not happening right next to all the other ones. That's it. If it collapses and flares (just like all the other hundreds of flares every year), it will let off a few waves (magnetic/radio/etc) and possibly make you miss 10 minutes of American Idol.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:35 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• NotPanicking.

I just snorted bagel up my nose. That really hurt! Thanks for the giggle.

Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:20 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• We should all be very worried! Increased solar flairs will cause Global Warming! The IPCC needs to call a conference and stop this now!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• OP -- the only filament I saw in the link is in the photo at the top of the site, sorta like a logo for the site.

All I have heard about the sun is something about there not being as many flares or sunspots or something for the last little while (year to 18 months or so....) I don't remember any details, but I also don't recall any huge amount of concern about it.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:52 AM on Feb. 24, 2010