A question for those who have had their gallbladder removed...

I had my gallbladder removed yesterday. It was the surgery with the four small incisions. I was able to come home today. I was wondering, if you had this done, how long was your recovery time? I am still in great pain & can barely get around (which is hard since I have a 4month old at home). Also, is it normal to have a big round bruise around the main incision? I noticed it bruising this evening, & now there is a large round bruise around it (which is also where it hurts the most). Is this normal? Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated...

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 3:05 AM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Health

• bruising is natural... the scopes were under your skin, rooting around and wiggling.... blood vessels were irritated.

I had mine done the same way as yours.... keep moving, rest when you need to, don't get dehydrated. Keep up with whatever pain management plan is in place.... don't skip pills because you're suddenly feeling decent because in a few hours you very well might feel terrible again... keep AHEAD of the pain!

shower/bathe as soon as you're permitted to... it's likely to be soothing and nice.

PS my daughter was about 10 weeks old when my gall bladder "blew"... damn pregnancies do that!!!! thank goodness you only have 1 to be removed :) you'll feel better soon, good luck.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:32 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• You sound pretty normal. I remember that it was a couple of days before I wasn't feeling like I'd been run over by a truck.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:34 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Okay. I guess that means no being stubborn anymore (I get stubborn about pain pills & like to think I'm superwoman sometimes). It makes sense that bruising would be natural for this, it just kind of scared me (I'm also a worry-wart). Thank you both for the responses! I can't wait to feel back to my normal self (or at least the self from before the gallbladder problems LOL). Thank you again.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 3:50 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I don't remember the recovery being bad...I was back to normal within a few days
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:10 AM on Feb. 24, 2010