Anti vomit meds during preg...

My sister is pregnant and she has been having morning sickness..the doctor gave her Phenergan and Emadur... and now shes fine..no vomiting nothing. My question is are those meds safe fot the baby? and do they actually work or are they a :mind over matter: type thing? i know the doc wouldnt give them if they were dangerous but still im just wondering...what were some things that actually worked for you to get rid of morning sickness..and how long did yours last?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 AM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Good lord, they totally work. I promise.

I am completely unfamiliar w/ emadur and think perhaps the spelling is wrong. Phenergan is 100% safe all 3 trimesters.

Your sister doesn't have morning sickness anymore, it's called hyperemesis. I had it and lost over 50 pounds before anti nausea meds helped me keep down sufficient calories.

morning sickness comes and goes a few times for most pregnant women but they'll still have appropriate weight gain, etc. hyperemesis requires meds, IVs, sometimes hospitalizations to ensure enough fluids and solids actually stay in long enough to get absorbed. she'll likely need them the duration of the pregnancy, perhaps a few weeks after even!! (til the remainder of the pregnancy hormones leave her system)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:28 AM on Feb. 24, 2010