For those with 15-17yo's.......Does your teen have a job?

If they do how old were they when they started working, , how old are they now, many hours a week do they work and what kind off grades do they have? If they don't, do they get an allowance?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 AM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• It is expected in my house to get a job when you turn 16. I expected it because they need to learn how employment, money, and time managment works in the real world. My oldest works at Friendly's. She just moved up to the fountain and works 12-16 hrs a week. She has her own bank account and ATM. She's learned how to balance her account. How to save money and how to control her spending. She is an honor roll student in AP classes.
    momsbreak5654

Answer by momsbreak5654 at 5:16 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• My 17 yr old works at the library and cleans cabins in the summer, we live in a tourist town with alot of resorts, it's where most kids around here work. She started working when she was 14 cleaning cabins and now works at the library after school.
    My 18 yr old started work at 14 cleaning cabins then at 16 got a job at a gas station, then a coffee shop, then her last job was a waitress. She is in college now and will be working at a summer camp when school is out.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:39 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• My older children did not have jobs as teens. They were busy with church and school band activites AND were working really hard to maintain decent (I mean Cs and Bs) averages in school to add work to that would have meant that their school grades would have suffered.

My daughter just turned 15 and will not work even though she is not stuggling to get her As and Bs. She volunteers hours at our church and is very active in our school band. I believe that while money managment skills are important, so is time to be a teenager.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Mine have been working since the year before they started their Junior year, they were 16 & 17. They are now 18 & 19 and are seniors and they work 20-23 hours a week unless they have a sport or drama going on or a volunteer activity (they are Big Brothers) and they work 8-16 hours a week (weekends only). They need to pay for their own gas, car insurance and cell phone bills. Both maintain honor roll grades (3.8 and 4.2) on top of playing sports (football & track), working and being involved in community activities.

Anonymous

• My 17 yo daughter has been working since she was 15. First she was a lifeguard and taught swim lessons and for the past year, she's also been working at Chick-Fil-A. She's a junior in HS, has made honor roll every quarter, is a Girl Scout working on her gold award, and is a star on her hs swim team. She does get an allowance but I've never based that on doing chores. We all do chores because we're all members of the family. During swim season, she only works a couple of hours a week but when it's not, she works about 15-20 hours a week. As long as her grades stay up, she can keep working.

My 16 yo daughter just started teaching swim lessons a couple of months ago and she only works an hour or two a week. She's hoping to work as a lifeguard this summer and she's also a Girl Scout and on the swim team.

They don't pay for anything but their cell phones and their own spending money. Good for them to learn early.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• My 16 year old SS has been working at Red Lobster busing tables for six months. He works about sixteen hours a week...mostly weekends. He does not play sports and wanted to get a job. I let him spend his first two paychecks, but now half of what he earns goes into his savings account...he wants his own car. I don't give an allowance, but he still gets money for what he needs.
    sammy12868

Answer by sammy12868 at 6:20 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• No, my 17 year old does not work. His focus is school, sports, and then he'll be joining the Army in the winter. We've talked about him getting a job his summer, but we're in no rush. Trust me, he works very hard around my house, Aunties house, and the grandparents. We keep him very busy with different responsibilities. He has his own checking account and ATM, because we pay him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:24 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• Only in the summer. My kids go to private college prep schools and the work load is pretty heavy during the school year. I want them to concentrate on grades and getting ready for college before all else. In the summer they can work and have spending money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Feb. 26, 2010