What is your teens curfew on school nights? on weekends/breaks from school?

How old are they and what time do they have to be home on school nights and on non-school nights?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 AM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• My twins are now 20 yrs old. But when they were in HS..... for the most part.....IF their date had a reasonable curfew - then 30 minutes after her curfew (Usually 10:30). Otherwise, they had to be home by 10:30pm Sunday -Thursday and by 11:45pm Friday and Saturday nights.
    We live in an area with very little for teens to do beyond a movie and dinner so there is just not reason to be out late.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:24 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I don't have teens yet. When I was a teen, I didn't have a curfew at all. I was a really good girl and I didn't party or anything. Sometimes I stayed out late, but my parents always knew where I was and trusted me. But my younger brother did have a curfew because he was always getting in trouble or not coming home until the next day and he hated that I didn't have one and he did. If I remember right his was 11pm on school nights and 1am on non school nights.

I plan to have one for my kids, but it will depend on where we are living, what their activities are, and how trustworthy they prove to be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:07 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• My sons are 18 and 19 and are seniors this year. They have to be home by 8p on school nights unless they have to work or if they have something school related (sports, drama, etc.) and on non-school nights they have to be home by midnight unless they have something going on (a bday party, a late movie, etc.). They also have to have clear plans by 8p on non-school nights or they don't go anywhere. They don't go out on school nights, they go to work or they do school related activities. School nights aren't for social activities. If they work on weekends until 10-11p they cannot go out after work.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Interesting question. Our city curfew is 11 on weeknights and 12 on weekends. BUT the state driving curfew for 17 and under is an hour EARLIER for both. (a teen can't go to a 9:00 movie & be home by curfew!)
    We used the city/state rules at first. But we don't actually have a family curfew. My kids asked recently why we don't. I said I can make a hard & fast rule if they want it, but as long as they are respectful and cooperative I'm happy not to set down ultimatums. They know I stay up until everyone is home safe, so if either of us has to be up early I ask them to come home earlier. In the end, I want them to be considerate of me, a future roomate, a future spouse, etc. so my plan is to make them THINK, rather than challenge an arbitrary rule.
    cutiemoose

Answer by cutiemoose at 12:10 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• That's great cutiemoose...going w/the state rules, and then asking them to respect your time and sleep. I would add that my kids are an absolute wreck and not productive at all if they are tired, so that will be a factor in what they have got going on be it weekend homework, other family plans, visits w/relatives...no cop outs because they stayed up too late.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Feb. 25, 2010