pre-k

my oldest son will be turning three in Oct would he have to go next year cause his birthday is later in the year.
And would he have to be out of diapers to go to school.
And how long is pre-k

momtoPMCandJNC

Asked by momtoPMCandJNC at 4:27 AM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• To start Pre-K kids have to be 4 by a set date. Here its Aug.27, so if you lived here your son wouldn't get to start until he was almost 5. Depends on the date set where you live. They have to be potty trained. No diapers or pull-ups. Some Pre-K's are all day (8-3) and some are half days. Half days can be morning or afternoon. I am in Ga and this is the way it is here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• The age thing would depend on the school. At our school they have to be 3 by Aug. 1 to start preschool and 5 by Aug 1 to start kindergarten. So he'd have to wait another year to go to preschool.
    Every preschool I've heard of requires kids to not only be out of diapers but able to independently use a toilet (sit on it, wipe, etc with no help from a teacher). About the only thing a teacher will help with his fastening pants but even then they prefer you send them in pants without buttons, snaps, zippers, etc if they child is unable to do them alone.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:09 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Everyone gave a good response. Yes, children have to be potty trained. Though every child has accidents, so send extra clothes and don't be embarrased. Talk to your school. Ask them what the policy is there. The date here is Sept. 1. My son will be spending an extra year at home with me before he starts preschool because his birthday is in October. However, boys ususally benefit from starting a little bit later because of maturity. So just think that it will be another year for him to learn and develop and he'll be that much more ready to begin school when it it time.
    JLF2

Answer by JLF2 at 12:28 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• It depends on where you live I live in illinois and they have to be 3 by sept 1st to go to pre-k. My son just turned 3 in feb so he is going to school in sept. (the same one DD went to) it is 5 days a week 2 1/2 hours a day (am or pm) and yes they have to be out of diapers to go to pre-k here. Each state is different I'd recommend calling your local school and talking to the pre-k teacher (s).
    TAY-NATESMOM

Answer by TAY-NATESMOM at 10:09 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• im pretty sure it depends on the school. my daughter was able to start the day after she turned 3 and her birthday is feb. 5 so she was in pre school for a little over 2 yrs. my sons birthday is in june this is his 2 nd and last yr of preschool. its 5 days a week 2 1/2 hours a day and there is am and pm. they do need to be potty trained and do everything themselves the teachers will help them button their pants if they need to. i would call the school he would be going to and find out all the info you need.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 8:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2010