How long does your 9 month old sleep at night ?

My 9 mth old wakes up 3-6 sometimes more times a night. I give her a bath before bed, she doesn't go to sleep till 8pm, and she only takes one nap a day. She is teething so that could possibly be the problem. What do you think? From a week old - 8mths she would only wake up once and I would have to wake her up to feed and change her.

3beautbabies

Asked by 3beautbabies at 5:57 AM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 9 months my kids were sleeping around 12 hours/night, not waking. Are you feeding her when she wakes up? The more she eats at night, the less hungry she will be during the day which means she won't eat as much, which means she will need to wake up at night to eat more since she didn't get her calories in during the day. I would cut down on the nighttime feedings, but that goes against what a lot of people on cafemom will tell you - of course, my kids slept 8 hrs/night at 2 months and were sleeping 12 hrs/night by 6 months.

Answer by missanc at 7:37 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• My son is 8 months old and he sleeps through the night Sometimes he'll start kinda crying in his sleep but we don't run in there...we let him cry, and after 5 mins or so, he'll find his pacifier, put it back in his mouth, and go to sleep. Every so often we have to go in there and just give him his pacifier, but he doesn't actually wake up. He's still sleeping, just looking for something to suck on. Yeah...my son would probably eat if i gave him a bottle every time he half woke up....but I agree with the first poster...the more you feed them during the day, the better they sleep. Good luck. Try some tylenol before bed if she's teething.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• My 9 month old usually sleeps through the night, if she is teething then she will wake up some during the night. Try keeping her up and extra hour at night, I have found that one hour can mean the difference between them sleeping 2 hours or 8, try it. Also try to not pick her up the first time she cries just pat her back and soothe her, she may not really be fully awake. If you don't usually warm her bottles (if she is bottle fed) try warming her bottle before bed, sometimes that will help, or give her a little cereal before bed. It may just be a growth spurt and once it passes she will start sleeping through the night again. Good luck.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 8:59 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• My daughter will sleep about 11 hours or so at night. Plus she takes about 3 short naps during the day. If he is waking up that much I would say hes hungry and may need more food during the day. My baby will sometimes fight to go to sleep at night and then when I give her an extra bottle she is out for the night. Good luck!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 2:10 PM on Feb. 24, 2010

• My 9 month old is the same way!! Today is actually her 9 month bday, she's been waking up at night for the last 4 months :( She wakes up 3-4 times per night, I nurse her for 5 minutes and she goes back to sleep....so it's not that bad....I brought her back into our room in the pack n play because I couldn't deal with getting up and going in her room over and over!! I don't know why she wakes up so much, seems like she just doesn't know how to put herself back to sleep when she wakes up...I tried a few "sleep training" methods but have decided to just go with the flow...luckily I'm a SAHM so I don't have to get up for work - if I did I might feel differently, but I was more stressed before trying all the "methods"...I know she will only be a baby once so I'm just going to relax and give her the comfort she needs when she needs it. GOOD LUCK.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 8:29 PM on Feb. 24, 2010