What is Divorce like?

i been thinking about it, but not sure yet. i dont have a job.. I have 3 kids to think about.. I havenot been happy in a long time.. So again was wondering if this is a good idea?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:11 AM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• What divorce is like depends on whether you want it or not OR how bad your situation is.
    It's either a breath of fresh air or it hurts like hell and you feel like you're never going to get through it.

Without knowing more detail, I can only generalize here ... if you want to "talk" just message me.

If you do get divorced then there are a lot of things you have to do.
    1.Get a job
    2.Figure out where to live (or if keeping current home, how to pay for it)

3. Know that you are going to share holidays, birthdays, etc. and may spend some holidays away from your kids.
    4. Who keeps the kids?
    5. Who takes care of kids while you're at work?
    6. Is it worth disrupting your family for ? ... for example WHY are you unhappy? are you just bored with your life and maybe some changes can make it better?OR are you in an abusive relationship?

LOTS more ...way too much to list. Message if you want.
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 8:17 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Divorce sucks. If youre thinking about it make sure you have the $3000-$5000 a lawyer will need up front to represent you. It will cost that much because you have kids and/or have property to divide. How bad the divorce sucks will also depend on how your ex and you get along during and after the divorce in terms of the kids. If you can agree to something in advance get it in writing before allowing visits. Until there is a court order signed either you or he can take off with the kids at any time. Its very emotionally trying, and can lead to you being confused. There are usually mind games and what not involved too. Dont believe anything he says after you seperate either. Have a strong support system in place. Have a home to go to, dont count on staying where you are.
    In the end I always say if youre so unhappy that you just want to punch him in the face everytime you see him, then get a divorce.

Answer by gemgem at 8:20 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• check out "laugh your way to a better marriage"
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 10:40 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Read For Better or For Best by Gary Smalley. It's an easy read and you can pick the small chapters that pertain to you finding your happiness again within the marriage. If that doesn't work or isn't an option then make a plan. Do your homework - google your state's child support calculator. Find out if you can get spousal maintenance . I'd check out schools and consider going back to school and gain a career. If that's not an option try the temp agencies to ease into the work force. I went to Legal Aid and got my divorce. It didn't cost me anything and it was fine. Detaching emotionally isn't always easy so try to muster up a support system for that.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:59 AM on Feb. 24, 2010