crick in the neck...should he go to school?

My son woke up with his neck hurting on one side. I can feel the muscle all tensed up and he's in tears. Obviously he slept wrong on it. Should he go to school?
I'm leaning towards "no". He seems to be in a lot of pain and he has gym today. There is no way he can run without turning his head

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 8:00 AM on Feb. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• My mom always kept me home when this happened. I just had one last week and it hurt to lift my arm. It is a muscle spasm and just needs to be stretched and rubbed out. If he is still in pain when he gets home give him a little shoulder rub to work it out. I hope he feels better.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:48 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I would say he could go to school but write him a note for gym class wishing he does not participate in gym. Usually the kinks work themselves out mid day. HTH
    CasualCandles

Answer by CasualCandles at 8:09 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• How old is he? Make a decision.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• He's 8 and in 2nd grade. He's decided to go but says he's sitting out gym. He's braver then me, lol. Just thinking about makes me want to stay in bed all day, lol. I pulled a muscle in my shoulder the other day and couldn't turn my head for several days. It's still a little sore and I did nothing that first day after I hurt it. Just sat there complaining I couldn't do anything. I have a high pain tolerance but low tolerance to annoying crap. I guess my son has a higher tolerance to both.

Bless his little heart. He's only missed 3 days of school all year so far and only missed 2 days all of last year. I told him if he goes and it gets too bad he can call me and I'll come get him. He wants to try. Good kid. At his age I would have taken any chance to stay home.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:24 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Motrin and a heating pad. I suffer from chronic stiff necks...they really are painful!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:36 AM on Feb. 24, 2010