Counting weeks is confusing!

Im beyond confused right now. Last period was Dec.27.. I have a very irregular period and from what I figured out I ovulated at 28 days which I know is a normal luteal phase. So how many weeks am I? 7 or 8? My first appointment is March 8 but she said ill be 9 weeks by then. I don't know lol. Help!

sariita

Asked by sariita at 8:11 AM on Feb. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• just wait until you start saying months... if it's 40 weeks, then it's really 10 months. LOL! i wouldn't really worry about it until you see the dr, they'll be able to "size" you and then know what you MAY be.heh.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 8:14 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• They start counting weeks starting with the first date of your last period. I don't know why and I can't explain it, but that is definitely the case.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:45 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• They start counting from the first day of your period. Because the have no clue when you ovulated and it is much easier for them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• if you have an average luteal phase, you would have ovulated 14 days after your period started, not 28. but like you said your periods aren't normal, so if you ovulated 28 days later, then you might want to just tell your dr that your LMP was 2 weeks later, say jan 10, so s/he will base your estimated due date and "weeks" pregnant by that. =)

basically it doesn't matter when they say your EDD is as long as you don't get induced unless it's a medical emergency (which is unlikely). like they might say you are due oct 3rd, when really october 17th would be more realistic. tell them that you do not want to be induced just because you've gone past their arbitrary due date, and even just because you've gone past the more realistic due date of oct 17th. actually you might want to try to find a provider that will be respectful and not push you to get induced no matter what.

congrats!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• also 40 weeks does not equal 10 months because months have more than 4 weeks, just to the first poster. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• @anon10:16. lol, yeh... but its so much easier! HAHAHA~
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 10:19 AM on Feb. 24, 2010